Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older and smaller dog (she weighs about 13 pounds). I got her teeth professionally cleaned by a vet around February earlier this year, but the tartar and plaque that was on her teeth came back.

I try to be on top of brushing my dog's teeth, and when I can't brush, I spray her teeth with PetzLife (it is sold at Petsmart). However, there are many periods of time where I will completely forget to brush or spray her teeth.

She is not interested in chewing on rawhide or anything of the sort and won't play with any toys.

Are there any tips or products that can help her teeth? I cannot afford (financially) another vet cleaning.

Anything will help!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not to mention putting your dog under general anethesia! Will she chew on a real bone. It's the gristle that cleans the teeth. I give my dogs( Westies) veal,lamb, and ox tail bones a couple of times /wk. -- they are 13 and have never had to have their teeth cleaned. I've talked to a few vets who are OK w/ a little plaque & tartar-- it's red swollen gums areas that are a concern.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
However, there are many periods of time where I will completely forget to brush or spray her teeth.
She is not interested in chewing on rawhide or anything of the sort and won't play with any toys.
I have to say, if she is not interested in chewing anything, then you have to step up the brushing. There's no reason you can't remember to brush her teeth daily because it only takes 2 mins a day. In fact, with how bad her teeth is (and her lack of desire to chew)you have to brush 2-3 times a day with enzymatic toothpaste.

sassykzt has great advice; natural bones or chicken necks will do wonders if she is willing--- if not the only option left is to brush brush brush.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes she likes to chew on bones, but I have always been a little wary of them (because of splintering). Do you cook or leave the bones raw? Would leaving the bone raw make a difference as to splintering? If so, I will definitely have to try it out.

Lately, I have been brushing her teeth about two times a day (once in the morning and once at night). I'm just hoping I keep it up.
I haven't been using an enzymatic toothpaste though.. maybe I will have to try one.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
raw bones only...and try to brush after meals and before bed when plaque is most likely to form...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I always give the bones raw. That way they are softer- less splintering. If you are worried about the "raw" factor you can freeze the bones and than thaw in frigde or dip them in a 2% total bleach solution for a minute or 2. Supervise when giving bones. If this is done inside you may want to designate an area that is easy to clean up-- bones can be messy. My sis brushes her dogs' teeth w/ an enztmatic toothpaste as mentioned by LeroyandLucy'sMom- swears by it!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Raw bones and brushing are the only things that keep Lloyd's teeth clean, also switching to a low carb diet has helped. I also use a spray as well. Lloyd's teeth collect tarter and plaque like crazy, its unbelievable how quickly it happens. I give him raw bones (turkey necks or marrow bones) a few times a week and brush on the other days and use the spray as well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wysong has a Dental Enzyme powder you can sprinkle on kibble and it acts like enzymatic toothpaste. You can also get a scaler and use it once a week. Some dogs are just more prone to developing tartar. A RAW chicken thigh every two weeks should also help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been trying to find turkey necks to give to my dog, but so far I've been using cow neck bones. Which is working nicely so far.. I wonder if some bones might clean better than others?

I've been waiting to go to a pet store to buy enzymatic toothpaste, but I'll have to check out the enzyme powder as well.

I've also been stepping it up on the tooth brushing - my dog has been sitting two to three times a day lately dreading every second of her teeth being cleaned. :D

Hopefully, I'll see some kind of improvement soonish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts