Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I haven't given my dog anything different than what he has been normally eating. We think he might of got something from drinking from a stream.

Anyway it started out at 2:30am he woke us up, let him out I didn't think he pooped, though in retro spec he might have. He started barking so I thought he wanted to just bark. Around 4am he woke me up and I put his bed in the kitchen and closed our bedroom door. At 7:30 I woke up to a horrible sight. I am sure glad I had my mom visiting for mother's day. Luckily I got it all cleaned up before anyone woke up. So it seems like he can control when he goes I let him out every couple hours and he has a very mustard like poop. We fed him this morning and haven't given anything yet tonight. We did give him some pepto as I read on a couple sites about using it, so I gave the recommended dose. He still goes to the bathroom every couple of hours and he just threw up for the first time. It is Sunday and our vets are closed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also his last stool was darker in color, a side effect I read from pepto.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Dogs can get Giardia (among other things) from streams, rivers, lakes, etc. and it can be transferred to humans. It's a pretty nasty parasite. Wash your hands after you touch him, and stop trying to give him anti-diarrheals. Keep running him outside and get him to a vet first thing in the morning! A vet is the only thing that will help that. Pepto will only hold the parasite inside his body and that could be bad for him. It would probably be best to fast him till he sees the vet as well (as long as he sees one ASAP), because anything you feed him right now will probably just upset his stomach more.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Yeah--I fast for at least 24 hours any time my dog gets the runs. Definitely second the vet too if you suspect it's from the lake.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
vet appt. ASAP. You don't want him getting deydrated. Fast to let the tummy settle down.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I agree with the above: It's probably giardia. The treatment for that is fast 24 hours, slowly reintroduce a bland diet: boiled lean ground beef and pasta or rice. The vet usually prescribes metronidazole, too. That's an antibiotic used to treat intestinal disorders like this.

Make sure that your dog has access to fresh clean water at all times. Dehydration is a real possibility. In fact, you can add a little Pedialyte, too. If the dog gets dehydrated, get him to a vet ASAP. You can tell if the dog is dehydrated by lifting the skin on the back of the neck. If it snaps back immediately, he's fine. Anything less than immediately is dehydration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts