Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first time poster and really hoping for a fresh perspective.

I have a 6 year old German Shorthair female that has had itchy skin and ears for the last couple of months. Despite numerous visits to the vet, the cause is still unknown.

We have two other dogs (all indoor dogs) and neither of the other two (another shorthair and a british lab) have any problem. That plus testing at the vet seem to have ruled out any contagious problem like mites, scabes, etc.

We've changed her dog food, use all stainless steel dishes, no dog treats or anything like that. Her bed (leather couch) is clean and any blankets/bedding is washed in just water now (to see if it may have been a detergent) and still have the problem.

She usually does not have a collar or anything else on either (occationally, like once every other week or so she'll have one on for a bit) and have not used flea/tick medication since this started.

The vet put her on antifungal meds as well as allergy medication, it seems to get better for a bit but then goes downhill quickly. I think it may be an allergy but at this point I'm not sure what else to change.

Basically under her armpits and her ears start to get red, itchy and scratching seems to wear some of the hair away. Her eyes also get slightly whitish crusty around the edges as do the ears.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions you may have!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now she is on Nutrisource Weight Management but we had switched her to AvoDerm Natural Salmon I believe was the food (sorry I will have to see if I can find an old receipt or look online). It was a salmon based grain free dog food for sure...that was one of the things the vet had us try, didnt see any improvement though.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I would try a limited ingredient/elimination diet. AvoDerm has a lot of ingredients, might be best to try something grain-free and limited. It does sound like allergies to me, poor thing. Might it be a seasonal allergy or an allergy to something in your house?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be if thats the case we just got snow and that might help if whatever it is covered. What food would you recommend if any?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Can't recommend a specific food, but I believe Natural Balance and Nature's Variety have grain-free limited ingredient options, might be a good place to start. For us, Taste of the Wild High Prairie stopped the itching, but Biscuit's eyes were really goopy until we added half a Claritin every night.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I can honestly say that I have one allergy dog whom we could not find the source for his issues. I was battling this and he had 2 rounds of prednisone to boot. His eye and some spots on his legs were itchy and the hair fell out from his scratching. I switched to Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream grain free. He seems to not be able to handle chicken products. I helped tremendously after 3 or more months of experimenting with foods. I noticed a difference in approximately 1 month to 6 weeks after the switch.

Just a thought.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Hey all, first time poster and really hoping for a fresh perspective.

I have a 6 year old German Shorthair female that has had itchy skin and ears for the last couple of months. Despite numerous visits to the vet, the cause is still unknown.
Did your Vet ever take a blood sample and test it for allergy-producing antibodies?

Allergies due to pollen, mold and dander are impossible to avoid just by switching the food around.

Your Vet could also take a blood sample and send it off to be tested... Your dog could then be given specially made allergy shots to help her deal with her allergies without the need of other drugs (like steroids).

·
Registered
31 Posts
One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is that even the best dog food is heat processed. So many nutrients can't take heat. So although finding a good meaty dog food is key to a good foundation for health but it's simply not enough. Just think if you ate a heat processed "kibble" with all the best ingredients in it...for life. And just like some people can eat McDonalds daily without health issues, some cannot. Obviously, this dog cannot. So before going through thousands of dollars worth of "testing" for a medical condition, I would recommend tweeking the nutrients your dog gets for a few months to see what happens. Think about it. Vitamin E, enzymes, probiotics, lots of other vitamins, fatty acids, certainly anything live or active are all missing from kibble because they simply can't make it through the heat extrusion or heat canning methods. The best thing I have done for my dog is to start making a homemade diet. Now that is not for everyone or it may not be your idea of a "first step". So I would recommend looking at a decent supplement that contains food nutrients not synthetic nutrients. The one that work for my dogs (two of them had issues a lot like your dog's issues) was dinvoite. Here's the link to the one I buy for my dogs: http://www.dinovite.com/DL-SP_landing_page/dinovite-liquid-sp-landing-page.html And here's a link to a homemade diet that is similar to what I make for my dogs (this one is easier than what I do for mine but is a good starting point, in my humble opinion): http://www.dinovite.com/blog/2011/08/dinovites-homemade-raw-diet/

Remember that a vet will look for a medical condition. That's what they are trained to do. But if it's not a medical condition, you may end up treating your dog for something as simple as a nutritional deficiency. There are so many nutrients that, if lacking, cause the exact symptoms you are describing. And improving your dog's diet is never a bad idea, has no side effects and can actually help him stay healthier in the long run.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I just went through this with my doxie
vet gave her a shot then predisone also ketasole
she had a yeast going on she is on lamb and rice dog food now and is better

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Unless you have allergy testing done, which I'm told isn't always correct, you won't know what he's allergic or sensitive to. An online friend gave me a list of ingredients to avoid, which she got from Tufts. The list is chicken, corn, wheat, soy, rice and flax. My dog cannot have brewers yeast. Not only do you have to watch their food but treats and supplements too. I gave my guy a salmon oil that has soy as a secondary ingredient. Boone does best on fish foods by Acana and Orijen or Natures Variety new limited ingredient turkey or The Honest Kitchen's Embark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm dealing with a new onset skin condition with terrible itching and hair loss. It was recommended to try EQyss Micro Tek Equine Gel. I believe it is for horses but I did find it online for dogs. Anyway after the second application the itch was relieved. I am still looking for the cause but the poor guy is sure more comfortable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've been dealing with my dog's allergies for a few years and it takes a long time to figure out what they allergic to with food. You need to do food trials and it really takes around 2-3 months on each food to see the results. Each dog is allergic to something different. My dog is really allergic to lamb and venison and salmon which most allergic dogs do well on. His worst allergen is potato. To figure out the allergies you need to start with a LID diet one protein one carb. If the food has too many ingredients you can't tell what they are allergic to. My dog is doing great on Nature's Variety Instinct LID Turkey and THK preference with fresh meat at night. Here are some LID foods:
Nature's Variety Instinct LID Turkey or Lamb - you can also try the regular Instinct line
Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream or Sierra Mountain, if the dog is ok with chicken you can try the other 2 formulas
Blue Buffalo Basics LID
Go Naturals Salmon and Oatmeal
Dogswell Nutrisca (chicken, salmon or lamb)
Great Life Grain Free
Wellness Core fish
Natural Balance LID - these are good for figuring out allergens but I don't like to feed them long term - low protein and very potato heavy

·
Banned
241 Posts
You can try all the foods in the world and it will NOT help if your dog is allergic to pollens, molds, etc... Alergy testing at a laboratory is the only way to know for sure. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes the allergy testing does help - it gives you a starting point. My dog also has a lot of environmental allergies as well as allergies to feathers and some other random stuff. I use a holistic vet that supports raw feeding and believes that environmental and food allergies go hand in hand so if you can alleviate the food allergies it will help out with the others as well. We decided to wait one more year with the allergy serum since this year was so bad for seasonal allergies we will see how this next season goes and we currently have his allergies under control. My dog licks his paws, looses hair on the top of his head and gets red and crusty around the eyes. When he's bad I also give him baths in tea tree oil shampoo which really relieves his itching - I put it on and let it sit for 5-10 minutes then rinse. His redness goes away a lot after the bath. If you have cats make sure to keep it away from them though as it is toxic to cats (I have 2 so I just make sure to rinse the tub well and keep it out of reach)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts