Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man. So apparently our poor dog, Cabbie, has had heartworms for awhile. Our vet believes he had them when we adopted, almost a year ago. He was tested by the shelter, then has been on preventative with us since we got him. He started coughing last month, we first thought it was just allergies. Now that we know, it explains a lot of symptoms. My poor Cabbie. We took him to get x-rayed yesterday, they already saw some heart and lung damage, but we are waiting for a radiologist to get more information. This whole process is going to be so overwhelming, I have no idea how we are going to manage things, my husband and I both work fulltime and he is going to need constant care. Ugh. Just needed to vent. He is this sweet little guy, and I hate that we can't tell him what is going on and that it will be for his benefit. He was all curled up on his chair last night and I started crying. We promised to take care of him and love him, and he is going to have to go through so much. Any tips, advice from anyone else who has going through this would be much appreciated! I know we can only do what we can do, and take it one day at a time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I adopted a dog who was tested by the rescue and but ended up having severe heartworm. The biggest thing we have been focusing on is just keeping him quiet during treatment. Hope everything works out for you and your pup.

·
Registered
11,351 Posts
I know it is stressful to hear that your dog has a health problem, but its important to take a moment and relax as best you can while you plan out the treatment options.

I am not a vet so this isn't medical advice but rather lifestyle/management advice I guess.

If the same vet clinic tested him negative and prescribed the heartworm medicine and you have purchased the same heartworm medicine from a licensed vet since then, I suggest looking into the manufacturer's guarantee. AFAIK, all the prescription HW meds will cover the costs of treatment if all the prevention protocol was followed.

It is possible to work full time and have a dog go through HW treatment. I have not had to do so, but I know other people who have with their foster dogs. There are fast kill and slow kill options, you should discuss with your vet what might be safer and more appropriate for your dog. Crate training will be incredibly helpful so if he is not crate trained now, work on making the crate an awesome place to be. Feed high value (extra yummy) food and treats in the crate, make it a comfortable spot with a bed or blankets that suit him etc.

With fast kill, a dog goes to the vet for a big dose of medicine and has to be crated for a period of time afterwards with very minimal activity while taking additional meds. This costs more but is far more effective is my understanding. This is the option that all the foster coordinators I know took with the dogs that came into rescue HW+
The slow kill is basically ivermectin monthly for 1-2 years which kills the larvae but not the adults who die off on their own; the adults continue to do damage along the way and the dog has restricted activity for a long time but it is very cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts