Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am desperately looking for some help with my dogs separation anxiety. He is a 3 year old dachshund, his name is Dobby!

Here is our story/problem...

He was a rescue, we got him when we was a year old. He was terribly abused, his previous owners has shot him with a pressure paint gun. It blew his whole neck/throat open & punctured his windpipes. he is the sweetest dog I've ever had. I've had dachshunds sense i was little, & have never had the separation anxiety problems that we have with my little Dobby.

we've recently grown out of him having accidents in his crate! YAY! but lately we've moved onto a new problem. This past week he has chewed a whole in the side of two different crates. I am going to go buy him a small metal crate tonight. Now, we've done the whole metal crate before. My dog is not a dumb one, he learned that he could just pee out the side of it & not have to lay in it while I'm at work. this is why we moved back to using plastic crates.

He has been moved out of his usual routine, we just moved into a new place. & haven't been exercising him as much. I feel like both of those things are key factors in this. Ive tried calming treats, nothing. I've tried essential oils, nothing. I've heard about the drugs that the vet can give him, but not sure how I feel about having him on medication all the time :( it makes me sad. any & all feedback & advice would be greatly appreciated!

thank you for taking the time to read this!

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
caution on the metal wire crate,,, if they are tearing the crate apart I would worry they get impaled and stuck like that until someone finds him, to include puncturing an eye.. Have you considered a larger baby gated off area while you work on crate training and the SA

·
Registered
264 Posts
Oh my goodness this poor little guy definitely had a rough start in life. Thankfully he has now found his loving forever home with you!
I do like the metal crates vs the regular plastic ones, but if he's peeing outside of it then maybe consider getting him a xpen? I use the portable one that's made with a mesh material though so not really sure if that'd be a good option. I don't have any suggestions for medications, but have you heard of the thunder shirt? I've heard a lot of good things about it really helping dogs with separation anxiety. Maybe consider hiring a private pet sitter to help you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for taking the time to read & reply! Yes, i worry about him hurting himself in his crate a lot! I'm giving the wire crate a try, I bought a "quite cover" that goes around it, sense dachshunds are burrowing dogs I thought maybe that would help him feel more safe/ secure. Again, thank you for your time! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your time on this! We have tried the thunder shirt, ill give that a try again! I bought him a metal crate with a "quite cover" that goes around it, also bought some dog Melatonin! Im a big fan of Melatonin & take the people version myself! So hoping this helps relax him during the day. Also kicking around the idea of getting another dog. This whole thing really kicked into full throttle when we had to have our other dachshund put down. :( so have been watching for another dog, & of course setting up meet & greets with out dog now before any decisions are made because he is my number 1 priority before any other dog come into our little family! So keeping my fingers crossed in hopes we can overcome this! thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
693 Posts
caution on the metal wire crate,,, if they are tearing the crate apart I would worry they get impaled and stuck like that until someone finds him, to include puncturing an eye.. Have you considered a larger baby gated off area while you work on crate training and the SA
I agree with this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts