Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pitbull almost two years ago, and I've seen bumps show up periodically under his body, on his chest and neck and on his inner legs. When I bought the dog I knew this was a specific problem, I had to sign a contract.

"We*the Breeder (Poulsen’s Painted Pitbulls) feel you the Buyer should be aware that the blue coat coloring in most breeds is associated with skin problems. Blue coated dogs of all breeds*are more prone to bacterial, viral, staph and fungal infections as well as various forms of dematitis, allergies, demodex and color mutant alopecia.*While some of these conditions are hereditary many of them are simply the result of the blue coat coloring. Dogs of other coat colors are also prone to these conditions. Therefore, we do not guarantee against any skin or coat problems*with the dogs*produced by Poulsen’s Painted Pitbulls. Most of these problems are*easily treatable*by*a veterinarian and we*believe can also be helped with a healthy diet and supplements to*strengthen the dog's immune system. Not all blue coated dogs will be affected but you must be prepared to treat your dog if necessary. We will not replace a dog or make refund on a dog purchased from us that has skin or coat problems as described above.
Give your puppy/dog daily exercise, a well balanced diet, positive discipline, lots of affection*and plenty of socialization and you will develop a well balanced pet and best friend."

I now see what the breeder is talking about and I have taken my dog to the vet. They give me shampoo and pills, however this treats symptoms, and not forever. I want to get to the root of the problem, and know what kind of diet helps these problems specifically? Thank you for your help

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Are the bumps more common in spring and summer? Or, after the dog has been outside a lot in grass and plants? Potentially a grass or pollen reaction.

Do you wash the dog's bed or the bedding that he sleeps on? Some laundry soaps have fragrances that irritate skin as can fabric softener sheets for the dryer. A "free and clear" type laundry soap (one with no scents or dyes etc) and a double rinse can help.

What food is he on? If you think its a food reaction, you would want to try a single protein food with NO other foods for at least 6 weeks or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the bumps were on him more in the spring and the summer and they are a lot less severe, though I don't think they disappear completely in the winter. I usually wash his bed with regular detergent and it might be that. After I read the contract over, I think it might be a little more hereditary but I also believe that a good diet can fix it. I've been advised to give him a raw meet diet and that would help his autoimmune system. However, I do not currently have money to afford that because I am still in highschool and only work part time. I don't want to work more because I am the only caretaker of my dog and I spend a lot of time with me. He is currently on Nutra Nuggets grain free dog food. I am seriously considering changing his food though, I know raw meet would be the best way to go, but for now, cost is a big issue so I would love recommendations on a really high quality food I could put him on

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
A good diet cannot fix an allergy or skin sensitivity that isn't related to the diet. A raw diet isn't always the "best" way to go, there is no one best food for all dogs and cost does matter for most owners.

If he is showing more bumps in the spring and summer, that may mean its an outdoor allergy. You can wipe him off with wet washcloth each time he comes back inside to remove pollen and such from his skin. A mix of water and apple cider or white vinegar (half and half or so) also works well to remove anything he picked up outside on his skin.

I googled that food, its a beef based food but it does have chicken fat. If you want to try a food switch, I would suggest a fish or lamb based food that does not have beef, chicken fat or any other animal protein than the main one listed. I don't know what foods are available to you, but one option that would likely be in the same price range as what you are feeding now is Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch or Meadow Feast.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
That contract sounds ridiculous.

The bumps being localized to the dog's underside to me suggests contact dermatitis, since it's where the coat is thinner (making skin more exposed) and also where the body is more likely to touch various things in the environment (walking through grass, laying on a bed, etc). Not that eliminating common allergens from the diet is a bad idea, but for me, I'd start with changing to hypoallergenic cleaning products (not just detergent, but also floor cleaners and the like) and as Shell says, wiping the dog off after it goes outside. I myself break out something fierce from many regular household cleaners and detergents, no big surprise they bother some dogs as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts