Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two dogs. One can wear a regular cheapy harness from the pet store we got many years ago. She is actually wearing it as a hand me down harness from the other dog as she is a little bigger than the first dog and when we went back to the same store and got the same size/brand they had shortened something on it and it didn't fit the newer, bigger dog right but the next size was too big. I thought the new one was working out well for the slightly smaller older dog, but after wearing it for 4 days while camping (the only time they are in harnesses are when we are camping) she has rubbed a spot raw under her doggie armpit. There is NO WAY this little dog can go up a size in this brand, so now I am looking for more of a comfort harness that won't cause her pain. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Puppia harnesses are soft and they seem really comfortable. I've never had any sort of issue with chafing. Sydney's actually wearing one in my signature if you wanted to see what they look like. I bought it onAmazon.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Puppia harnesses are soft and they seem really comfortable. I've never had any sort of issue with chafing. Sydney's actually wearing one in my signature if you wanted to see what they look like. I bought it onAmazon.
I second the recommendation for Puppia harnesses. I use one for Noah, and we have never had any chafing problems or discomfort.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really like the Lupine harnesses. My has been through dirt, sand, ocean and all over again and still looks great and holds strong. I also believe that they replace them if they do break, but I could have the wrong company...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I really like the Lupine harnesses. My has been through dirt, sand, ocean and all over again and still looks great and holds strong. I also believe that they replace them if they do break, but I could have the wrong company...
Lupine is the one that will replace it so long as your dog hasn't outgrown it (they won't give you a bigger size but they'll replace it if it breaks, etc). I really like their collars but I've never used their harnesses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses. I will look into them. Are your dogs able to stay in their harnesses all the time or do you only put them on for walks?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Thank you for the responses. I will look into them. Are your dogs able to stay in their harnesses all the time or do you only put them on for walks?
Mine only wears it on walks but it's soft enough that I don't see why it would be a problem to leave it on more. It'd probably wear out quicker, though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are the two brands mentioned pretty easy to put on and take off? One of the reasons we keep them on all the time while camping is the PITA factor of having to put them on while they are bouncing around excited about what it means.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Are the two brands mentioned pretty easy to put on and take off? One of the reasons we keep them on all the time while camping is the PITA factor of having to put them on while they are bouncing around excited about what it means.
The Puppia you just have to slip over their head, then have them step into it with one paw. It clips around their back. For me it's super easy (easier than the Easy Walk, which is the only other one I have-- that one does tend to chafe if you're not careful, which is why I did not recommend it) and the design makes it very easy to tell which end is which. I know the ones made from collar type material instead of fabric can sometimes be confusing.

I knowPuppia also makes another model that is supposed to be even easier to put on, but my understanding is it is also a bit easier for dogs to get out of if they're the type to try. From the looks of it you just have them step into the two leg holes and clip it at two points on the back. I've never used it myself so that's all I really know.

Oh, and if you want to have it on the whole time you're camping (as opposed to all the time at home) I can't see how that would be a problem. I would probably want them to wear it the whole time too so I could get a hold of them easily if anything should happen. Definitely wouldn't be a problem for them to sleep in it for a few nights or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly has this one http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/harnesses-fleece-lined

I do live in the Uk, but i think they will post them anywhere, they said they have had comments from all over the world about them, Holly has the perfect fit harness though, and you get 3 different parts for this one, which is good because Holly has a Medium, Medium and a small for one bit of her's, her's does not rub, and she does wear her's all day, until i am ready to take it off at night, she does not worry about it when it is on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts