Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 year old chihuahua/ pug has been doing a hacking sound for a month now. Sometimes its at night sometimes after a bark sometimes just randomly. Its not constant. I took her to the vet he said all seem well and sent me home with temaril p unfortunately i stopped giving it after first dose due to some diarrea and nausea. Does anyone have an idea what it can be? I am terrified its heart related. She was licking floor alot before this and has also reversed sneeze.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hacking is typically caused by something getting into the airway or lungs. Could be a hair, lint glob, food, water..........

Reverse sneeze????

Floor licking could be she has found a scent from dropped food or just an interesting smell.

You probably need to do a bit more searching, investigating for the potential cause of the hack.

Wise choice to halt the diarrhea and nausea.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Take her back to the vet and explain why you stopped the medication. Ask them to check her out again and try something different this time.

It could be something stuck in her throat, it could be allergies, it could be lots of things.

My dog licks the floor when his stomach is upset.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had another thought about the "hacking", this could be an early indication of a parasitic worm. I forget which parasite, but I know one of them has a development stage in the dog's lungs, gets hacked up, swallowed, then takes up residence in the intestines.

So a trip to the Vet is probably a good choice. Have the dog tested for parasitic worms. Common parasites are tape, hook, whip, round and heart worms.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
In my area and given that autumn just passed, I'd be concerned about the possibility of a foxtail awn embedded in the esophagus or back of the mouth. Don't know whether that's a worry in your area, but it's a common issue in dogs in my neck of the woods. I second Jen's advice to return to the vet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Her being a Chihuahua mix, trachea issues could also be a cause for hacking. Trachea collapse is unfortunately quite common in the breed. My family has had many Chihuahuas throughout the years and majority of them had hacking problems and were diagnosed with trachea problems. Even a mild case can cause some serious hacking.

Since you took her to the vet I would assume they ruled out this issue, but heart problems (also common with Chis) can also cause occasional hacking. Especially with CHF as it causes the heart to swell and put pressure on the lungs. Just a couple things you might want to rule out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts