Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked out dog growth calculators online, and they give me a wild range of possible sizes for my pup - 15-30 lbs. Hamilton is a dachshund mix, we think maybe dachshund and terrier, and right now he's 6 months old and 13 lbs. The vet says that since we don't know what he's mixed with, she can't say that he's not going to be above 22 or 25 lbs (Frontline and Heartguard weights!). I think it's really unlikely! He's growing maybe a pound a month at this point. Does anyone with more experience in dog growth rates have any thoughts on how big my stubby legged friend might get?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
We got Biscuit around 7 months old and she was about 30 pounds. She gained 12 more and seems to have settled at 42. I think small dogs usually finish growing younger. I agree with your vet that you can't be 100% sure, but thats the case with purebreds too. I would guess Ham will end up around 20-25 lb.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
To me, it doesn't sound like he'll get a whole lot bigger and I would guess the other posters are probably on about the size to expect.

I still like to laugh and tell the story of Smalls and Shambles. When I got Smalls she was 5 lbs and the vet estimated she won't grow above 20 lbs, probably be 10-15. She's 55 lbs as an adult. xD Now SHAMBLES was about 20 lbs at 4/5 months old. He's an 84 lbs adult.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would agree with the vet on this one. Probably not going to get a whole lot bigger
The vet said he could be over 25 lbs and thus was refusing to write me a prescription for heartworm pills, and only selling me one at a time. (at twice the cost of a box of heartworm pills) Not sure how much of that was true, or how much was trying to scam me out of money. I did finally win the Rx fight. I just can't see him doubling his weight at this point.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The general rule of thumb is that a dog will double his weight at 5 mos... That's probably as accurate as anyone can get, unless you have the monthly weight, and run a straight line (simple linear regression analysis :) ) through the increases.

Adult weight = ~2 times weight at 5 mos
Adult weight = ~ 1.5 times weight at 6 mos

On the other hand, if you'd just listen to us and tell the Vet that the dog is a long GSD ... :)

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I've heard a couple of rules of thumb that are something like...

Double the weight at 4 months
At 6 months, they are approximately 2/3 of adult size

I tend to find that these types of thumb rules are less accurate for either very large or very small breeds, but they'll get you in the ballpark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts