Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
First time on the message board. Really hoping to find some help. We have a now 9.5 month old lab/spaniel puppy. He’s awesome, smart, and generally pretty chill and well behaved. At about 7 months old he started growling at thin air. He never growls at us, other dogs, or other people. He’ll be sitting on the couch, laying in bed, sleeping on the floor….seemingly meaningless moments and then he’ll just start growling and refuse to stop. There is no sound, often times no noise whatsoever. Then it continues for about 10-20 minutes until he falls asleep.
We have tried EVERYTHING to curb this behavior: we have tried calming techniques, reassuring techniques, we have tried having him go to his own bed when he starts growling (only thing that has had a modicum of success). We have done everything we can find but still to no avail. He is not an aggressive dog and honestly probably doesn’t have a single dominant bone in his body but the growling is just so constant all day long and we have no clue how or why. He also just recently saw a vet who gave the “all clear.” What is crazy is that he doesn’t even growl at strangers, vets, groomers, etc. Never. So why is he growling at thin air? We are so confused and just want advice as to what is going on. Thanks for all the help!

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
It's going to be impossible to say exactly. One of my first thoughts was mice/insects in the walls, or electronic noises that are outside your range of hearing. Do you share walls with any neighbors?

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Is it possible he's growling at something outside that you can't hear? My dog (and many others I know) will often growl when they hear coyotes outside. I can't hear them unless I go outside and listen very closely, but the dog can hear them inside with the television on. Other things might be a car that sounds "funny" to them, perhaps other dogs barking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's going to be impossible to say exactly. One of my first thoughts was mice/insects in the walls, or electronic noises that are outside your range of hearing. Do you share walls with any neighbors?
Thank you for your response! We live in a complex of townhomes so no bugs or anything but we have neighbors on both sides. They are usually really quiet but that could always be an option!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible he's growling at something outside that you can't hear? My dog (and many others I know) will often growl when they hear coyotes outside. I can't hear them unless I go outside and listen very closely, but the dog can hear them inside with the television on. Other things might be a car that sounds "funny" to them, perhaps other dogs barking.
Thank you for your response. That’s been our initial thought, we are just concerned because it has increased in frequency and we’re nervous that it’s becoming more of a problem.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thank you for your response. He doesn’t not get confused. At most he gets protective and tries to get close to my wife or I and sit on us.
That is not to protect you. That is defense and he is going close to you so you will protect him.

·
Banned
166 Posts
i don't myself subscribe to the paranormal but i do try to keep an open mind. Found this video while researching the subject... 👻

1 - 9 of 9 Posts