Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dog is a pit/shiba inu mix, and I've had him for a few years, he is a rescue. My fiancé and I have been living together since December 2021. The dog of course lives with us, we have a pack, together we have 5 dogs.

My dog loves me to death and I can pet him all day long. If she tries to pet him, he immediately goes to an aggressive stance with hair pointed up and growling at her. He's never done anything to anyone(that i know of) and this is really odd behavior.

She is able to get him to obey commands and give treats with him --
He does follow her around like he likes her and is curious about what she is doing etc, as dogs are. The moment she looks at him or bends down to try and pet him he will run away, or stand still and growl.

This doesn't seem to be resource guarding as there's no resource to guard he just doesn't want her to pet him, or look at him, unless she's giving commands and treats.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we have a child on the way and are not comfortable with this behavior, and are in fear of what it might mean for our child. I love my dog to death but if it comes down to him or our child the answer is obvious.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I think the best bet would be to simply for her to not pet him at this time. Not all dogs like everyone to pet them.

Pushing the issue could get her bitten and that would be a real shame. A growl is a warning. Heed the warning and change the conversation by having the dog do something like sit or lie down or go to his mat and lie down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts