Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Dog growling at me at night

381 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  CalvinTucker 
#1 ·
I need help with an issue that started a few weeks back, but has only worsened and is quite worrying now.

My 1year old Corgi, which I have since he was a baby, has started to growl at me at night when I try to pet him or approach him.
During the day, I approach him in the exact same way and he's 100% fine. In fact he is quite lovable and cheerful. But at night, he growls when I try to touch his belly specifically, which means that I can't pick him up or pet him anywhere close to his belly.

It started with a light growl, and not knowing any better I said NO and told him to go away. As it got worse with time, I tried being tougher on him (no physical harm just more strict) and it doesn't help. I read about growling and saw it wasn't the right thing to do, but being nice or ignoring the growl doesn't make it go away. It's at a point where I get nervous when he growls. And now he even growls at my partner too.

He was always defensive of his yummy food (not his regular food, but when he had jerky or something special), but now he's just growling, period.

What can I do to resolve this? He's awesome in all other respects, and at all other times throughout the day...
Thanks!
CT

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.