Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last couple of days have been trying to say the least. My mastiff Hancock has been low growling while looking down my hallway. Only my boyfriend, we’ve had Hancock since he was a puppy, is in the bedroom down the hall. So I thought nothing of it. Now last night we were standing in our bedroom and Hancock wouldn’t come in. He sat outside our door looking at us. Then he started aggressively barking at the door all the while backing up as if something were moving towards him. He was clearly upset. It terrified me. This is a 145 lb dog..afraid of air? I don’t know what to think.

·
Super Moderator
11,846 Posts
I don't have an explanation, except one that will make some people laugh, and a similar story.

Years ago, we had a 116-pound lab. He wasn't afraid of anything. I was in the habit of taking him for a 6-mile walk in the morning and then giving him his breakfast in our finished basement. Like nearly all labs, he really liked his breakfast.

One morning, we got home and he headed down the stairs and then abruptly stopped, growled a little a backed up the stairs (which I would have thought was physically impossible.) He went all the way up to the second floor and could not be persuaded to come down.

Reluctantly (and perhaps foolishly) I went down to the basement but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

When I got home from work, the dog was still upstairs and I ended up feeding him outside.

Shortly after that, things got really strange. Several family members (myself included) started seeing things in our basement family room that shouldn't exist. Eventually we decided they were connected to the urn on the bookshelf with my MIL'S ashes. Things returned more or less to normal when the ashes were laid to rest in a proper crypt.

Make of it what you will.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
If its not ghosts, check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms along with any other electronics that might give off a sound that is pitched too high for human hearing. Replace old batteries as needed.

Also have a peek round any light switches and outlets for any chance of a short that could have caused a shock

If you have an attic over that room, look for any signs of animal intrusion.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If its not ghosts, check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms along with any other electronics that might give off a sound that is pitched too high for human hearing. Replace old batteries as needed.

Also have a peek round any light switches and outlets for any chance of a short that could have caused a shock

If you have an attic over that room, look for any signs of animal intrusion.
Yes to all of this. Also, you didn't mention how old he is? If you can't identify anything odd in the environment, a vet check might be in order. CCD in older dogs can manifest itself in strange ways, as well as failing eyesight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes to all of this. Also, you didn't mention how old he is? If you can't identify anything odd in the environment, a vet check might be in order. CCD in older dogs can manifest itself in strange ways, as well as failing eyesight.
He is 4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have an explanation, except one that will make some people laugh, and a similar story.

Years ago, we had a 116-pound lab. He wasn't afraid of anything. I was in the habit of taking him for a 6-mile walk in the morning and then giving him his breakfast in our finished basement. Like nearly all labs, he really liked his breakfast.

One morning, we got home and he headed down the stairs and then abruptly stopped, growled a little a backed up the stairs (which I would have thought was physically impossible.) He went all the way up to the second floor and could not be persuaded to come down.

Reluctantly (and perhaps foolishly) I went down to the basement but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

When I got home from work, the dog was still upstairs and I ended up feeding him outside.

Shortly after that, things got really strange. Several family members (myself included) started seeing things in our basement family room that shouldn't exist. Eventually we decided they were connected to the urn on the bookshelf with my MIL'S ashes. Things returned more or less to normal when the ashes were laid to rest in a proper crypt.

Make of it what you will.
Yea I had an experience before before we got him. Heard a sound like someone knocking on my tile floors in the same spot. And when I went to my room and shit the door, cold air rushed under and a small pebble that I must have brought in with my shoe earlier that day as well. The knocking got louder and louder and it sounded like someone breathing on the other side of the door. That was over a year ago. I cleansed the house with sage and nothing since. I suppose I will have to again. My boyfriend thinks I’m nuts and doesn’t believe so it will take some convincing lol to cleanse with him here. Thanks for response.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
A few years ago my dog started growling and barking at a corner in my bedroom, every night at around the same time, for no discernible reason. I remember as a child I used to see a shadowy figure in that corner. One night, I got tired of it and said "Leave my dog alone." Knock on wood, he's never barked at that corner again.

Do with that what you will....I tend to trust my dogs' instincts when it comes to that kind of stuff. But I agree it could have to do with failing eyesight or some sort of sound that we can't detect as humans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He’s only 4 so it’s def not his eyesight. Last time something like this happened I said out loud that they were not welcome here and that they had to move on and to leave my house. Upon doing that loud music blared for like 5 seconds and went off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts