Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You did the right thing by not reprimanding him. You never ever want to punish a growl, or bared teeth, or any kind of "warning" sign. By reprimanding the warning, you teach the dog to skip the warning and go straight for the bite/attack. You did good by walking away and coming back with treats. Stay a distance far enough away that he doesn't start to guard or feel threatened that you will take his bone. Toss a couple treats to him. You can toss them to make a trail of treats leading away from the bone if he is not wanting you to approach at all. If you can get close, do as LilasMom said and "trade up" by giving him treats as you take the bone. I like to have several treats in my hand, give one, and have more in my fist to keep his attention as you remove the bone. Remove the bone calmly and smoothly, don't snatch it away. You were also very good to remove the other dog, major kudos for thinking of that! Since you know he guards the bone, you can practice with that. Hold it while he chews on it, and offer treats throughout. For now I wouldn't leave the bone out and about as it is something he is valuing so highly.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts