Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
You very much did the right thing! It is refreshing to read. Generally these sort of statements are followed by "I forcefully took the bone and punished the dog." which is ALWAYS the wrong answer. By growling at you he was warning you, so he did the right thing as well. If you punish that growl, the dog associates growling with punishment and opts not to give that warning system anymore and may just end up biting first.

First things first, stop allowing the other dog near his food. Stop allowing them near each other when food is involved period. Dogs resource guard naturally, but there is no reason to foster it. You're on the right track with getting a treat. You're going to want to start working on games of trade. Begin with something low value and offer him a higher value item. I have two resource guarders. One is fond of toys, but of course will trade me a toy for a piece of hot dog or kibble. Offer up the higher value item with the command "Give" and trade it for the low value item. Generally after we have traded I give BACK the lower value item to show them that not only will I not take things away without them getting something better in return, I will not take things they can have. With my severe resource guarder, I did games of trade, NILIF (there is a sticky in the training forum), and tossed high value treats to him while he was eating (and at a distance in which he was not reacting to my presence so as to not REWARD the growling.) I also started off hand feeding him his meals, but like I said, he is a severe resource guarder now managed.

It's good to establish a strong "leave it" as well so if you're in a situation where you don't HAVE an item to trade, or they are going for something they really SHOULDN'T have, they respond to the command. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts