Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
You could try and get a part time job at one of the big chain stores. If you're not looking for anything too professional and just want to learn simple clips they would probably train you if they needed somebody, or apply to be a bather. I was just looking for part time work and they hired me on as a bather but I soon learned how to do sanitry trims, clean the pads out and now in training as a groomer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could try and get a part time job at one of the big chain stores. If you're not looking for anything too professional and just want to learn simple clips they would probably train you if they needed somebody, or apply to be a bather. I was just looking for part time work and they hired me on as a bather but I soon learned how to do sanitry trims, clean the pads out and now in training as a groomer.
Are you still working part time or you are becoming full time?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I too, second finding a local groomer who is willing to show you a few things; I'm assuming this is for 'personal' use? I know, myself, as a groomer, I love showing people how to do proper groom jobs on their own pets, because let's face it, going to a groomer all the time, isn't always convenient, and if you don't want anything fancy... it does save people money, and some people get really good at it, and decide to make it a living, so hey...why not? Hands on, also will let a person know if they are cut out for it, because even if it's your own dog, you might not be 'up to the task', because grooming takes time, patience (a whole lot of patience), and you will spend a good bit on 'getting started'; that is if you get the right equipment, and even if I stopped grooming professionally, there's no way I would 'downgrade' to cheaper equipment for my own dogs...it lasts longer, and 'treats' my pets better; not breaking haircoat, burning skin, etc.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Are you still working part time or you are becoming full time?
I work there full time now. I started the job as some side money and ended up really enjoying it. I was a manager at Office Depot and ended up quitting. I love this job and make more money doing something I really enjoy so it's a win/win.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts