Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sassy just hasn't been the same since we had Zeus PTS. She seems listless, and not intrested in much. She keeps going outside and looking at his kennel. Is she missing him? Or is it just a random occurance? I know I have a hard time looking at the kennel without tearing up. Maybe she's feeding off my emotions. Should I get her a buddy? I miss having two dogs. It's always been two dogs. Never just one. Sassy was a year old when we brought Zeus home as a 10 week old puppy. They grew up best buddies.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
That is a really interesting question and one that I wonder about myself. Many people will say that dogs are incapable of grief. I don't think so... and I don't think it is over-anthropomorphizing to say that she is indeed experiencing emotions that we might recognize as grief.

Dr. Patricia McConnell writes about death, dying and grief in canines and I've found her POV to be accurate (and refreshing in the scientific field).

Personally, I would not recommend getting another dog. Both you and Sassy need time to properly mourn Zeus. You can never replace him and getting another dog right now won't fill any holes he has left. Wait a few months until your heart and mind are not overwhelmed with grief and loss. Spend a lot of time one on one with Sassy. I would lean on her if you begin to miss Zeus (which I am sure you do every minute of everyday right now). I think dogs need time to heal and rebound as much as humans do.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Dogs definitely can miss their canine companions. Everyone mourns differently and in their own time. If it would make you feel better to have some puppy energy around the house, it is a tribute to Zeus' memory.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It'd probally be an adult dog, not a puppy if and when I decide to get another dog. I can never replace Zeus, he was one of a kind dog. He was my dog. Sassy is the family dog. I miss having a dog to play with.. Sassy's not a player.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I really do feel for you KcCrystal...

It is very difficult and I do not envy you in the least.

Is there an activity that you and Sassy can do together? Even if its just walking?

Look into starting something new with Sassy... how about a dog sport or just a basic obedience class? Something that will provide a special time for you and her to bond together? Maybe classes aren't for you? Try teaching her some new tricks or even some free shaping?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I should point out Sassy's 8yrs old and has medical issues that do effect her daily activity levels. She can't walk far do to Shar-pei fever. She over heats, and her temp goes up. Last time she had a flare up she had to stay over night with a temp of 105. So she's not overly active anyway. She does like to play with the hose, and in the kiddie pool. I try to get her to play fetch inside and she just looks at the ball like "You threw it, you go get it." She's just a hard dog to motivate. Food doesn't even get her excited. She loves other dogs, but we did the dog park thing, and it overwhelmed her with so many other bodies. If she just one on one with another dog, she's fine. She enjoys the company. And I know she's not going to live forever. I want that furry suport.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Is Sassy a Shar-Pei? My first (not family) dog was a Chinese Shar-Pei and he also had Shar-Pei fever. He passed when he was 6....

Does Sassy like to swim?

One of my dogs now, Ozzie, is a (my guess) Shar-Pei / Bloodhound X and he sounds a lot like your girl. Could care less about food and seemingly impossible to motivate.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't think dogs can truly grieve, because I don't think they understand death. But I do think it's possible that dogs can miss other dogs. If Sassy and Zeus were close, and now Zeus isn't there anymore, then she probably will be upset in her own way. I remember when we had two German Wirehaired Pointers, and one was killed. A few days later, the other dog ran over to their outside kennel they shared, sniffed around, looked in the doghouse, then walked outside and just stood there, peering around. They're social animals, and are certainly capable of realizing when one is absent.

I also agree with everyone else - wait a few months at least before you get another dog! You should never make important decisions while still grieving.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I've come to believe that Shar-Pei and stubborn are synonymous... hehe.

Tucker didn't play with toys and was not interested in food either. However, even though he was terrible at it, we went to agility classes. I didn't care if it took him the entire hour to get up on the dog walk because my expectations were realistic. We did it for fun.

The thing he did seem to like a lot was being able to run in the woods. Maybe you can find a special place that just you and Sassy can go? I know she is on special restrictions but perhaps a place with water so she is able to cool off?

The only thing that helps me grieve over the loss of a pet is to spend more time with them. It helps me remember the good times and why I continue to put myself through the pain of loss. I definitely suggest using Sassy as much as you can to just get out and enjoy having a dog. I had to put my cat, Simon, to sleep today and after I was done the initial grieving I packed up my dog and we went for a car ride and a run. Then we played and he licked me and I felt better... even just momentarily.

Do you have pictures? I'd love to see her!

And I really hope you don't think i am pestering you or anything... just your tag line caught my eye because I was contemplating the same thing today. I also can sympathize with how you are feeling and want to suggest what has worked for me. Of course you don't have to take any advice, but I just want to help if I can . . .

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
She is very pretty! Made me think of my Tucker... Shar-Pei's are really something else. Not the breed for everyone.

From the pictures it looks like her head is too small for her body; which just makes her that much cuter. If I were you, I'd go find that adorable girl right now and give her a good belly rub (or ear scratch or whatever).

Hang in there, and if you want to talk just say so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts