Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short (it's 2am lol)

My dog keeps getting loose one way or another, and we keep thinking the fort is tight enough and then bam- penetrated the gate, the moat, and then the alligators. lol

Is there a GPS something or another than I can use to track where my dog is "in real time"?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
There are GPS collars available. I think they cost about $300-$400, on average. I don't know if you'd need a full GPS system or if you could access it on your computer.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Yes they are available but expensive.

How does your dog escape if you don't mind sharing? Maybe there is a less expensive tip that can be provided. I've dealt with escape artist and know other with them too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd agree in general I think it's best to avoid them escaping rather than spend hundreds on a tracking system.

One thing I had luck with on my escaping dog was boundry training. I actually did it completely inadvertently. She had a habit of bolting out the front door when the kids would leave it open too far and a few times I managed to be right there when it happened. Frustrated at having chased her down so many times I let out a "SIT" in my angriest alpha dog voice, and she planted her but down on the front steps cowering. After a few times of that, she would no longer go out the front door. Period. You could leave the door hanging wide open and she would just sit there looking out. Same thing with the back yard, you could leave the fence gate wide open and she'd stay put. At one point kids left the gate open and I went out to find 2 out of 3 dogs missing, with my trained one sitting there nicely.

Of course my accidental training was more luck than anything, but if you search for boundry training you'll find some good techniques. Both my dogs are trained to not run out the front door period, I think this is pretty easy to do. It's much harder to prevent them from escaping from a gap in the fence or open yard gate, but still doable I think.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gnarfle- I think thats a good idea, I will look into that, thank you.

As far as how he escapes, someone always forgets about closing the gate, the front door, the fence, etc.
He did SOMEHOW go into the neighbors yard yesturday. 2 other people and I looked for 20min and couldnt figure out how he did it.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Padlock the gate, and put a large sign on the door reminding people to shut it. Maybe keep toddler gates up in the house going to the door, so it adds one more barrier. Shock collar ...on the person who keeps leaving the gate/doors open!!!

A GPS won't protect him from being taken, run over by cars or attacked by other loose dogs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I thought about putting a GPS on my dog, but then I realized that since she has no fear of cars the GPS would only tell me where to go to pick up her dead body. LOCK the gates and do whatever else you need to prevent the escapes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please check the real-time tracker for dogs. Small dogs are suitable for PetFon, Whistle, Bartun, and Bartun is GPS less than $ 100. Geofence-enabled pet trackers will alert you when your dog runs out of the set range, and you can recall it immediately.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I assume you are in USA. There are very few places in USA that tolerate an uncontrolled dog.

It is your responsibility to maintain control of the animal. There are many very plausible situations which are very detrimental to the dog and family.

Consider.
The dog gets into a battle with a racoon. Many racoons carry rabies. Now, your dog is infected. Has the dog been vaccinated against rabies?

The dog attacks a young child that is playing with it. The child is bitten, or maimed. YOU will be responsible for medical bills and any fines and the dog will likely be put down.

The dog has poor timing to cross a road when struck by a car, truck, semi...... At best you only have to pay Vet for recovery surgery. Worst is the dog is dead or wanders off to hide suffering a painful death.

The dog is collected by animal control. Depending on the local laws the time to euthanize stray animals is short. Is you dog microchipped? Is the chip registered?

The dog is taken in by a family. Some families know kindness and proper pet care. Other families.....well....not so much kindness and care.

I could postulate more, but I think you get the point.

It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAINTAIN CONTROL. Educate your family about the importance of closing doors, gates, using leash..........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.