Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
An hour ago I left my home with three dogs, each being handled and by their owner, on harnesses.
The youngest adopted one was very nervous and did not want to walk behind the other dogs. The oldest and smallest, calm but a very angry dog when it comes to other dogs. And my own dog, a 60 pound Samoyed, being led by me.

It started off terribly as the youngest dog making this hard for everyone by being stressed. Yes, we walked to the vet. It's very close to our home.

A dog who usually resides at an apartment being built crossed the street trying to pick a fight with our own dogs, my dog Athena, is a big baby who is scared of other dogs despite her size. It was a terrible walk, loud construction noises, a nervous and angry dog, and another dog picking a fight.

It all happened so fast, there was no way to avert it. Athena chose to bark at this dog, feeling so frightened and angry she slipped out of her harness, and ran into the middle of a busy street. Of course it's a very stressful situation with everyone screaming and dogs barking, loud noises, busy street, unfortunately there was no going after her. The only thing I could do was wait for the cars to pass to be able to run after her.

First, a large truck blocks our view entirely; not allowing me to see my dog. She was in the middle of the street with the other dog, when a taxi attempts at stopping to avoid the two dogs, he wasn't going very fast and was just stopping his car when he hit Athena slightly. It was all a big blur for everyone, and I guess we chose not to remember what happened because none of us seem to have seen the same thing. I say he stopped perfectly just bumping half of her body gently. She was so frightened she ran away, and I followed after her and brought her home.

Obviously, she wasn't in the mood for any other dogs. She immediately drank some water, and then I fed her and she ate. She is currently sleeping as I type this.
Yes, we wanted to go back to the vet when things calmed down, but we have not yet done so in fear of another harness fail, and the fact she needs to calm down.

I checked her out for any wounds and she seems to be perfectly fine. Is there anything else I can do? How can I check for internal bleeding? I'm sure she's fine, but I just want her to be happy. Her gums are also fine. The vet is not an option right now, it will be tomorrow. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She needs a vet today, now. There is no other option. If she's bleeding internally, she'll be dead by tomorrow. If there's spinal damage and swelling, disability could be permanent by tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
She needs a vet today, now. There is no other option. If she's bleeding internally, she'll be dead by tomorrow. If there's spinal damage and swelling, disability could be permanent by tomorrow.
I have to agree with this. There is no reliable way to check for internal bleeding at home. You can palpate her everywhere (thoroughly!!!!) to make sure there are no obvious injuries, or any areas that make her show some kind of pain reaction, but there may not even be pain reactions with some internal bleeding. With multiple people seeing things differently, even though you are sure you saw a very minor hit, a different viewpoint may have shown it as a more serious impact. Time for an E vet if you have to...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i've never heard of a dog slipping it's harness. i thought people used a harness because
a dog can't slip them. take your dog to the Vet or E-Vet immediately. i would go to the E-Vet.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
i've never heard of a dog slipping it's harness. i thought people used a harness because
a dog can't slip them. take your dog to the Vet or E-Vet immediately. i would go to the E-Vet.
ive seen it happen a couple times.

i agree, your dog should have gone to the et immediately especially if they are that close.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I have seen lots of dogs slip harnesses before, especially the standard H style. At the vet I worked for we use to see so many Hit by cars because the dog slipped its harness or collar.

To the OP I would take her to the vet right now to get everything checked out. Use a different harness, a collar, something and take her. I would also suggest getting a Spron harness from amazon. A dog can not get out of them because they tighten up on their back when the dog struggles or pulls. They are cheap, nicely made, and would be perfect for a dog that can slip its harness. And if you don't want her to ware a harness anymore do to this accident then I would suggest getting a martingale collar, they kind of do the same thing as the harness I described so they can't get out of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont use harnesses because of this crazy fear that they can get out or they can pull me down the street.

Take her to the vet and get her checked out, she may look fine but you never know and its better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully your little girl will be alright!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
710 Posts
Mariethomas, how is your dog faring today? Did you end up taking her to the vet the next day (17th)?

It's difficult to read a post about accident/injury and then not see an update after so long. Hope all is well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree this dog needed a vet immediately.

But regarding harnesses. Trust me dogs can slip a harness!! I have had it happen!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I agree this dog needed a vet immediately.

But regarding harnesses. Trust me dogs can slip a harness!! I have had it happen!
Very hard, based on information supplied, to see if a vet visit is required. I've bumped my dogs with the lawnmower a few times cause the dumb sods wouldn't get out of the way. A bump at 3 or 4 mph is harmless. The formula (Newtonian physics, covered in Physics 101) says force is mass x velocity squared. If velocity is low, it's a bump not a hit. At low speed, chances are good it's entirely harmless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so sorry for keeping you all waiting on an update.
Yes, Athena was brought to the vet and she was perfectly fine. The people I was with were saying she wasn't even hit, but all in all it was a terrible experience. Maybe it didn't even bump her at all! I'm terrified of bringing her out again though, I don't trust her harness. I bought it at the same vet we went to and the vet fit it for her.

When the accident happened it was only my third time using the harness, and I guess this time I didn't tighten it properly. Athena pulls on all harness/leashes, just like bigger dogs seem to do. I never imagined she would ever get out of a harness!

I live out of the US, but I'll look into the collars. Now I'm just wondering which would be best for my dog since I cannot make a mistake ordering a harness...
Thank you all so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts