Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog got bit by another bigger dog... Now it have pain and don't want to get up. He bit her near the rear right leg and I don't see any blood or something that could be the sign of a wound. She can walk without too much pain but can't run and climb stair. I dont know if i can give it something to reduce the pain while she heal.

Sorry for my english.
Sam

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Take her to the vet (animal doctor). If the skin is broken she should have antibiotics to prevent an infection. And if he thinks she needs pain meds he'll give her some that are safe. Never give human pain meds unless a vet tells you to. Some of them are very toxic to animals.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Dog bites are puncture wounds. The puncture doesn't bleed, but it pushes bacteria into the wound and can lead to terrible infections. She really needs antibiotics from a veterinarian.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the vet told me to wait 2-3 days and give her pain meds with a certain dosage with her weight. i dont see any puncture hole or inflammation though :/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats, good news. I would go with the Vet's advice on this one, but still keep a close eye on your pup. A couple months ago my dog got into a fight with a raccoon in my backyard at night. The sound was terrifying and because it was night time I couldn't see anything. Thankfully she walked away with only a couple scratches and bikes and no infections. But we took her to the emergency vet that night and gave her some antibiotics and pain meds. The raccoons are now scared of our back yard!

I hope your dog feels better soon!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The same thing happened with our dog and now she doesn't want to eat or move around. Any advice?
Some things to consider when determining the seriousness of the bite:
1) How violent was the bite?
2) Where on your dog, was the bite inflicted?
3) Did it break the skin?

Keep in mind that a bite can cause internal damage as well as surface damage, such as bruising, bleeding and muscles soreness and tears. Bites near the face, chest, throat or stomach can become emergencies very quickly, even if they don't appear to be serious.

Surface wounds can also become infected fairly quickly.

If you haven't seen a vet for the bite, you should get her in to be seen. If you have seen a vet, I would call them to discuss recent changes and concerns.

Last week, I did something really, really stupid. I accidentally got my finger caught between my dog's molars while she was happily chewing a bully stick. (don't ask - like I said, it was really stupid)
The pain was unbelievable; like smashing your finger with a sledge hammer. My finger was cut and completely bruised. I was unable to use my finger for 2 days.
That was from an accidental 'bite'. She wasn't even aware that my finger was there. If it had been an intentional bite, I imagine the pain and damage would have been much worse.

The point of my stupid incident is, the pressure from a dog bite can cause a lot more damage than you think. But even if the bite was isolated to a muscle, or a non-vital area, the pain from that bite can cause a a great deal of soreness that may last for days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts