Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little rescue ship tzu has some social issues! When someone is at my house , that he isn't very familiar with, (for example my grown daughter who doesnt live at home) when it comes time to say goodbye to them, he runs after them as they are walking out while barking. He acts vicious. He is pretty much ok when he sees that someone is invited in but heaven forbid that person walk out of the room quickly or yell goodbye as they walk out. How do I handle this and why is he like this? What sort of behavior is this? All in can think of doing is putting him in hs crate when the goodbyes come about or putting him another room. I don't want to do this because I want him to learn to not act like this. Help?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That's doable. First, make sure you have sit or down and stay perfect, as in the dog responds 100% of the time. Then you can put the dog in a sit/stay or down/stay and reward calm behavior. You may have to start with rewarding* 1 second of calm behavior, but 1 second is better than no seconds. You can also practice by having people look as if they are leaving the room, but not leaving the room (walking towards the door, for example), or say "goodbye", but not move at all. This will desensitize him to leaving cues. Right now, he's really attuned to them and reacting loudly, but if he gets the idea that walking towards the door doesn't always mean much, or saying "goodbye" sometimes means nothing at all, he won't react quite so badly and it will be easier to get a nice, calm down/stay.

*By reward, I mean if your dog is treat motivated, give him a really great treat, like chicken or hot dog or cheese for 1 second of a calm down/stay. Then he needs to stay calm for 3 seconds, then 5, then 10, then 20, etc. You have to build slowly and have patience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts