Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with training!

I have been trying to teach my Benji to sit and down but when you bring any kind of food into the picture he goes nuts. He seriously acts like he's starving! Even if I've just fed him. I've tried training after playing, after walks... When he is so tired he can barely keeps his eyes open, after eating... All he cares about it the food!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Could you try some lower value treats? Higher value treats are good for distracting situations like being out, or being in class. At home, the higher value treats just make my pup crazed. By sticking to more boring treats, like pieces of kibble, he maintains his focus without going bonkers for what you're giving him.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hambonez he goes crazy for kibble too! At first I was having a hard time finding treats for him. Maybe I will try using thrones he wasn't really crazy about. I feed raw so I try to keep from giving too much kibble but I even tried that and he went bonkers!!

Thanks Laurelin I will read that!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Aha! But if he doesn't usually eat kibble, then he might consider it an exciting treat! Mine eats kibble so as a reward, it's nothing unique or interesting.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Your dog's just a baby so impulsiveness is pretty typical. I would be really happy that you found something that is that exciting and rewarding to him as it will be good down the line. Until then he just needs some time. Work on the doggy zen and impulse control without much else. Start with a treat in your hand and have it in front of you then click and feed the treat when he gives you some space. Once you build it up by putting it on the floor and further, you'll end up with a dog that will even likely back away from a treat if you toss it at them and then wait for you to give it to them.

By the way, papillons can be really impulsive and really overexcited fast, at least in my experience. Impulse control and slowing down a little to think has been the biggest challenge with my guys.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your dog's just a baby so impulsiveness is pretty typical. I would be really happy that you found something that is that exciting and rewarding to him as it will be good down the line. Until then he just needs some time. Work on the doggy zen and impulse control without much else. Start with a treat in your hand and have it in front of you then click and feed the treat when he gives you some space. Once you build it up by putting it on the floor and further, you'll end up with a dog that will even likely back away from a treat if you toss it at them and then wait for you to give it to them.

By the way, papillons can be really impulsive and really overexcited fast, at least in my experience. Impulse control and slowing down a little to think has been the biggest challenge with my guys.
Over excited is not the word!

And he's "learned" the art of barking... He is quiet a character.... full of energy!!! The only time he isn't going is when he's sleeping or when he's outside because he's still slightly scared of being out there! I love him but I need him to real it in for training sake! I regret oversleeping and missing puppy class on Saturday you can bet I will not be missing it this weekend! Already set my alarm! I may also try training outside since he seems more focused on me and not that he got to come into the livingroom for once!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Over excited is not the word!
Well then what do you mean by 'goes nuts'? I'm a little confused.

And he's "learned" the art of barking... He is quiet a character.... full of energy!!! The only time he isn't going is when he's sleeping or when he's outside because he's still slightly scared of being out there! I love him but I need him to real it in for training sake! I regret oversleeping and missing puppy class on Saturday you can bet I will not be missing it this weekend! Already set my alarm! I may also try training outside since he seems more focused on me and not that he got to come into the livingroom for once!
It'll be fine. Papillon puppies are usually pretty wild but on theflip side, the breed is also usually very highly trainable and quick to pick things up. It just takes time and consistency to get a puppy to 'get' training. Start very very small. If he can't handle sit just yet, just work on being calm and focused on you around treats.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well then what do you mean by 'goes nuts'? I'm a little confused.

I meant it as in he was more than that... Like over excited doesn't even begin to describe him... HE's a wild child and an escape artist... And I can't even figure out how he manages the things he does!!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Yep that sounds about right. :D Have fun with him, he sounds like a blast!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We did Doggy Zen...I didn't read it before I did it though and did it wrong... -_- But... I applied the same principle.... And it worked...! I pretty much let him eat the treat out of my hand instead of off the floor...

Partially because I forgot and partially because if I let him have it off the floor instead of sniffing my hand he will just sniff the floor... I'm going to try it the right way now though!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just ignore him and his behaviors when he goes crazy over the food. Don't give him any, like Cesar Milan says, no touch, no talk, no eye contact.
Reward him with food when he's calmed down. If it takes an hour for him to calm down, it takes an hour, but you've got to do it. Don't give him the food if he instantly becomes excited again when you are about to give him the food, make him wait until he's calm.
Doing this is a lot like the Doggy Zen thing(I only skimmed it but I'm pretty sure it's a lot like that) and it teaches your dog that being calm is a good thing.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would start the NILF method of training. Here is one website from someone who uses it that provides good details. You can also Google others: http://shibashake.com/dog/nothing-in-life-is-free-dog-training.

I adopted Maddie a little over a month ago (a typical nutty Westie mix), and while a sweet girl, she had zero manners. I now have her trained to sit and wait before she eats her meals and also before she goes out the door. To train her to wait on her food, I'd start putting the bowl down, making her sit. It she stood up, I stood back up, holding the bowll, making her sit again. At first, it took quite awhile before she got to eat! She finally figured out that she wasn't going to get the food until her bum stayed on the floor. After I said "good girl", she got up again, so I started over. She's finally learned that she doesn't eat until I give her the verbal cue, "eat".

The same goes for going outside to our fenced back yard or out for a walk on leash. She has to stand quietly while I put on her leash (or I stand up and wait until she's quiet - some people make their dogs sit - your choice). She has to sit at the door and wait for the cue, "go outside". This took awhile too. At first, I'd make her sit, then reach for the door and of course, she'd get up. I took my hand away from the door and made her sit again. When she stayed seated with my hand on the door knob, I'd start turning the door knob. If she got up, we'd start over. You get the picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts