Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I wrote to you all asking about dogs and car sickness. I got tons of replies and helpful ideas on possible cures/solutions. However, yesterday i noticed that when I put her in the car (station wagon) and I was sitting with her with the rear hatch open, she would start to foam at the mouth WITHOUT THE CAR MOVING AND THE DOOR OPEN. Therefore, this is more than car-sickness. Do I handle this the same way as a dog who gets car sick? Do I do the desensitizing? Little rides ending with happy outcomes? Or is this different?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Do I do the desensitizing?
Yes. Except don't start with rides yet. If she is salivating just sitting in the car, you have to back off a little. Pop her in and out, then praise and play. Make getting in the car part of a game. Then have her get in, perform a sit, and then get out. You don't want her to get to the point where she's showing signs of stress (salivating). Work up to starting the car. Then a short ride. And so on.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Desensitizing and counter conditioning. And you have to start BEFORE the dog is reacting to the trigger, which may mean making wonderful associations with the car at a distance and working towards it, then backing off again when the criteria is upped (car turning on) and so on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Does she exhibit stress signals by just being near the car? Avoidance of getting close to it; reluctance to get in the car; etc?

If so, I'd start out with classical conditioning at a distance to the car. Somewhere in that netherworld where she's close enough to see the car but not reacting yet. Play and treats. Next session, move closer. Play and treats. If the play and treats aren't enough to relieve her anxiety move further away. (BTW, this happens over time; no more than one distance per session, probably multiple sessions at the same distance; don't rush it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts