Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have recently adopted a coonhound and have been living with him for a month. He has been mostly great and is a fast learner. Starting about a week ago, he figured out how to open the pantry and has been able to drain our groceries twice! We had to rebuy stuff and eating the food gave him diarrhea. He ONLY does this when we aren't home or watching, but we obviously have to go to work. My questions:

1) Are preventative measures (locks, barricades) our only option?

2) Are there any behavioral training techniques we can use?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
For things that are self-reinforcing, meaning that the act or action itself is fun for the dog, preventing access is 95% of the time the solution. No access, no reward.

A pantry, cabinet or garbage can is simple to block off for a dog most of the time. Look at baby/toddler proofing gadgets for handles and latches and/or a good metal swing baby gate to restrict total access to problem areas.

Dogs love food and hounds love food more than the average dog. Management doesn't require any punishments (not likely to work anyway unless very harsh) and works whether you are present or not.

That said, working on training a "leave it" command for when you ARE there is helpful and also good on walks and such if food is in plain sight

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have a deadbolt on my pantry.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Yes, management and prevention is probably your solution here. If you can't lock your pantry effectively and prevent your dog from accessing the food, you may have to consider a crate.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I agree with the others. Lock the pantry, gate off the kitchen, or crate the dog. So long as he is able to get in there and steal the food, he will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts