Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I are looking at buying a second car. He'll take my compact. I'd love to get something like a truck or SUV. I know there are a lot of SUV you can get a plastic thing to cover the cargo area. That would be great for two muddy dogs :)

Does anyone have a truck or suv or car that is exceptionally great for dogs? What do you like about your dog-friendly vehicle?

(@dogstar we're not getting the vibe :p )

·
Registered
442 Posts
I really like my Toyota 4Runner LTD . You can fold down the back seat if you need that extra room . It's very comfy and best of all , a reliable vehicle . And unlike others ,they aren't looking at filing bankruptcy :D

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been looking at the 4-runner, I like it.

Sadie is 20 lbs, Hadley should be 40 or so.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ok, this is unpopular everytime I post it but I just can't help it: if you're unconcerned w/ image you can't beat the functionality of a mini-van. They haul people, canines, lumber, and anything else imaginable better than any hatchback, SUV, or truck.

We have a Chrysler Voyager and we leave the back seats out for the dogs - couldn't be better. I will never be without a mini-van again. Of course we don't care of the image that comes along w/ one and most people won't be caught dead in one (these are usually the same people that call me when they're moving).

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right, we won't be caught in one ;) No offense! :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I used to have a Lexus RX, it was awesome. Not too big, not too small. You can find them used for as much as a new Rav4. Look for a leased trade in. I got mine 2 years old for half the price and only 28,000 miles, certified, warranty, etc.

Can't go wrong with them either, they are made by Toyota, and you can pretty much drive them into the ground. Cargo area was great, and the seats folded down too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yep ,they do have plenty of room , hey my daughter owns a Ford Aerostar and has had zero problems . I do a lot of other things though , I take my dog up to lakes in the mountains , we go all 4 seasons and having 4 wheel drive is a MUST ! 4x4 is also great in town when it's snowing .A dependable 4 wheel drive was just a must for us .

Ok, this is unpopular everytime I post it but I just can't help it: if you're unconcerned w/ image you can't beat the functionality of a mini-van. They haul people, canines, lumber, and anything else imaginable better than any hatchback, SUV, or truck.

We have a Chrysler Voyager and we leave the back seats out for the dogs - couldn't be better. I will never be without a mini-van again. Of course we don't care of the image that comes along w/ one and most people won't be caught dead in one (these are usually the same people that call me when they're moving).

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Buy used and don't buy unless you get a really, really good deal and you can pay cash. Cars that don't drag payment books are very dog friendly because they give you more money to spend on Fido. :)

I too would've suggested the mini van although I'm personally thinking of buying a small pickup myself.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You can't beat the functionality of a mini-van.
Just wanted to say that I agree. I love mini-vans and can't wait until I get my own!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Nissan Xterra, Jeeps are ok (looking forward to see whats going to be new with them before I really endorse), Hummer (H1).................

if you want a truck my friends don't seem to have issues hauling theirs in Cadillac Escalade EXT truck.

I also saw mention of 4runner and will say I think that would be a good choice also, the highlander and rav4 are also ones to check it.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm really liking the Toyotas.

We just got back from a driving lesson for DH, he did really well! Now to go make sure the credit is okay for a second car. :(

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I feel like we have this conversation a lot, but I'm gonna say what I always say. I drive a 2007 Honda Fit Sport and I love it. It's like a mini mini-van, only much cuter. All the seats fold down so that you can have this vast flat space in the back. The bottom portion of the rear seats also folds up so that you can carry taller objects at floor level. It appears to be a tiny car, but it's incredibly roomy and comfortable inside.

I get about 30mpg driving mostly on city streets.

I have the Sport version and wouldn't recommend anything else. The regular version is so underpowered that it's a joke, but the Sport is plenty peppy and has paddle shifters, if you like that sort of thing.

I paid $18,000 to drive off the lot.

I would also recommend the Honda CR-V.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like Honda, my first car was a Honda. I'll look for the Fit. We are buying used and DH wants to spend under 10k.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a Volvo XC90. One great thing is the hard plastic insert/lining that Volvo sells to fit perfectly in the back of the SUV. You just take it out and hose it off.
I know you said you are looking at used. This car came out in 03 or 04? Not sure how many used ones are out there quite yet.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts

I had to laugh reading this as I was getting ready to post something similar! We got a Toyota Sienna van in September, FOR the dogs! We're in our late 40's, kids are grown and gone but we got a van for the dogs. It's awesome, the third seat folds down into the car and the second set of seats is very easily removable. The Sienna has tons of storage space, they used every little nook and cranny for storage. We have three dogs, two shelties (one is oversized) and one pbgv, plenty of room.
Toby4Life: if I already commented on this, sorry but I was born and raised in Tonawanda, been gone a long time now but it's still "home" for me!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Honda Pilot. There's room for 5 people to sit with room for the dogs in the back. I can put 2 dogs and ski or snowshoe gear for 4 people in the car without cramping anyone. I get 20 mpg with the summer tires and about 18 mpg with the studs on and in and out of 4 wheel drive in the winter.

The major advantage that the Toyota 4-Runner has is that the back window rolls down. None of the other vehicles have that.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
PGBV!!! (Sorry.)

The major advantage that the Toyota 4-Runner has is that the back window rolls down. None of the other vehicles have that.
Oooo thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts