Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't be insulted by the title of this thread. If you are actually reading this, it's unlikely you're one of the Dummies. Anyway, I personally own a few dozen of the IDG Dummies series on topics ranging from Dog Training to Windows 7.

If you're interested in reading the full text of the forum rules (and I recommend it) it's right here http://www.dogforums.com/announcements/announcements.html

That post has had about 11,000 views and we have about 50,000 registered members, so I guess the other 39,000 have already been banned or have yet to post anything at all.

This is about staying out of trouble. Many of the new members who are almost instantly banned are blatant spammers who certainly don't care about rules and will never return to find out they've been banned. They just hope their link to black market iPods will survive long-enough to generate a few hits.

Sadly, though, many of the violators might have become valuable, participating members if they hadn't started their brief stays here by linking to their blogs or their organic treat site.

So no links, unless you're a supporting vendor (and then only on the vendor forum.) This includes links to Youtube videos (which have become a commercial endeavor.) After you've been here long-enough to demonstrate you're interested in participating - and not just in advertising - you can probably get away with a YouTube link or similar.

Do not post your surveys, request for donations, petitions, etc. We have a pretty broad definition of, and a zero tolerance for, spam. We do not allow posts to rehome dogs - even if your intent is to give them away.

Profanity or bad manners in general will not be tolerated - especially when directed at another member. We understand that cultural differences exist, but I don't think there's a part of the known universe where, "Go **** yourself" is considered a friendly greeting. The use of the creative punctuation will not help when the meaning is so obvious. Directing that phrase at a moderator will get you a very quick trip out the back door but you really don't want to say that, or anything similar, to anyone here.

Keep your photos and signatures to a manageable size.

Feel free to disagree with moderators on canine matters, but not in matters of forum management. If you see what looks like a rule violation, report it, but don't respond to it. For heave's sake, don't quote it, or you'll become part of the clean-up.

And just because the forum software allows you to post in hot pink in an oversize, alternate font with all caps, doesn't mean it's a good idea. You will annoy the moderators and impress no one.

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not a rule, except one of common sense: If you decide that Dog Forums is not for you, please have the grace to just log out. Don't post an angry good-bye, perhaps accompanied by a demand that you be unregistered and everything you've ever posted be packed up and returned to you by registered mail. If you later decide to return, you'll be welcome (if you haven't already burned your bridges) but don't be upset if nobody noticed your absence.

One of the very few people whose absence I noticed and was concerned about posted message number 3 on this thread.

This is a community. Some would say a family - a big, dysfunctional family. It's what we make of it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not a rule, except one of common sense: If you decide that Dog Forums is not for you, please have the grace to just log out. Don't post an angry good-bye, perhaps accompanied by a demand that you be unregistered and everything you've ever posted be packed up and returned to you by registered mail. If you later decide to return, you'll be welcome (if you haven't already burned your bridges) but don't be upset if nobody noticed your absence.

One of the very few people whose absence I noticed and was concerned about posted message number 3 on this thread.

This is a community. Some would say a family - a big, dysfunctional family. It's what we make of it.

I also miss poster number three as I've said before. I wish she would come back and stay for a long while as I did enjoy her words of wisdom.

As for myself, poster number nothing, honestly my interest in this forum is evaporating and I find myself posting far less frequently than I did in the past. I've learned a lot here and I'm grateful for that, but I do have issues with the forum.

I'm not ready to leave quite yet and may never do, as I change my mind all too often for my liking. But, if (and when), I do leave, it will be quietly with no angry fanfare. Just tiptoeing silently out of the room, so to speak.

But you are right, Mr. Ron E. It is a big funny dysfunctional family of sorts. And who put the "fun" in "dysFUNtional?" I love this forum and I don't love it at the same time ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Assalam Aliekum
Mashallah good rules ill try to rspect them as much as i can i mean the first case the secon is of course
fi amanullah

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I'm new to posting - but I, like many who come across these forums am here to look for some insight before I lose my mind with what other options I have for my dog.

I'm looking at the don'ts on here and I don't fit any of them (no advertising, I don't even have a signature, no swearing, no soliciting, etc) I want to be able to participate in discussions and ask questions - and in the appropriate forum (ie: training questions in the training forum, health questions in the health forum), but apparently I don't have permission right now to even edit my own profile - am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Usually after a day you can post, etc. The system is functional then.
Actually, it's usually closer to an hour or two, after you post your introductory post - not after you register. If you wait a few months to post in the new members' after you register, you'll still have to wait an hour or two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts