Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have a dog about 3 years old which we have had about 14 months. She stays in our garage & yard all day while we are at work. She hasn't ever been to the toilet in our house and has only gone in the garage on a couple of occasions. We taught her commands to 'empty' & 'toilet' & she goes pretty much on cue on walks. It took a while to 'housetrain' her not to wee in the yard during the day but to go on one of her 3 daily walks. She eventually got the message & was 'clean' for a good 3 months. Then about 3 months ago she started to go in the yard during the day & the problem isn't going away. So we made her a dog loo. She refuses to use it. For the first month before walks we put her on it & told her to ''empty, toilet' but she didn't go. On Friday when I got home from work she had weed in the yard again & I brought her in the house & from then until 3am Sunday she was kept home & taken out to the dog loo in the yard regularly & told to 'empty'. On Friday night she was put to bed about 3am with the dog loo next to her kennel & no option to 'go' anywhere but on that. In the morning she still hadn't been. We kept her home with regular visits to the loo but She didn't go to the toilet all day Saturday. She stood on the loo & waited to come off it with no sign of even thinking of doing the 'empty' or 'toilet' we were telling her to do. She needed to go but just refused. Twice in the afternoon she started urinating in the yard & we stopped her & put her on the loo but she didn't go. It got to the point she was whining & shaking & obviously really uncomfortable, still she refused to go. I put her to bed next to the loo about 3am Sunday & at some point during the night she went on it. She had held her bladder for a full 36 hours despite plenty of chances to go. However she refused to use it again on the Sunday. I really need to train her to use the loo, it stresses me to come home from work & find she has weed where all her toys & food bowl are & have to clean it up. I have been telling her off to come home & find this because I know she didn't used to do it & she knows it's wrong. I need to be with her & her to use the loo so I can praise her, but she seems determined not to use it. I know she was thinking each time on the loo that we would then take her out anyway, but you would have thought after 36 hours of that not happening, that she would have got the message. A couple of things puzzle me - why did she go to urinate on the yard in front of me, knowing it's wrong, when I have spent hours telling her to use the loo? And why is she refusing to use the loo to the extent she is nearly passing out because she needs to go to the toilet so badly? And why has she started doing this when she was fine for 3 months or so? And how on earth do I get her to use the thing & stop using various spots in the yard?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If you really, really want her to use the loo, you have to take it with you on your walks. It's very, very hard for her to make the connection that relieving herself on the daily walks is OK (out in other yards but, not the yard at home).
Telling her off isn't helping....it's making things worse.
Truthfully, cleaning up the yard would be much easier and less stressful for both of you...it only takes 5 seconds of water to dilute the urine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts