Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best dog food that is not too expensive, I am currently using royal Canin large breed puppy dog food. When I read the ingredient list it is not all that good for the price I pay. Any suggestions. Thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know there are Costcos in Canada. If there is one near you, you could check into their Nature's Domain kibble. I've fed it and know others who have and their dogs have done well on it, as have mine. Decent ingredients and supposedly pretty equivalent to Taste of the Wild. Of course it's not a puppy food so you might want to investigate but keep on with large breed puppy food for a while. Check the dogfoodadvisor site, or you can always go to a store that carries a good variety and start reading ingredient lists yourself.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Research, research and more research.

IMHO, for the best health of the dog avoid grains of any sort in the ingredient list. Legumes tend to be protein % enhancers but do little for the dog. Dogs need meat, bone, fat.....maybe a small amount of veggies and fruit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know there are Costcos in Canada. If there is one near you, you could check into their Nature's Domain kibble. I've fed it and know others who have and their dogs have done well on it, as have mine. Decent ingredients and supposedly pretty equivalent to Taste of the Wild. Of course it's not a puppy food so you might want to investigate but keep on with large breed puppy food for a while. Check the dogfoodadvisor site, or you can always go to a store that carries a good variety and start reading ingredient lists yourself.
Thank you

·
Registered
63 Posts
Our vet recommend Purina Pro Plan. She mentioned all the research she had done on ingredients and she picked PPP and one other (I can't remember all the details). We first started with the same Pedigree brand they fed her at the shelter and had to brib her to eat it
(applesauce mixed in...), but she LOVES Prop Plan and has been very healthy and energetic. We use the kibbles in it for training too.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Research, research and more research.

IMHO, for the best health of the dog avoid grains of any sort in the ingredient list. Legumes tend to be protein % enhancers but do little for the dog. Dogs need meat, bone, fat.....maybe a small amount of veggies and fruit.
Note: This may no longer be valid. Vets are condemning grain-free diets as potentially causing cardiomyopathy!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Read the report. Very first few sentences mention specifically what "add-ins" are being studied. None include meat, fat or bone. No meat source was predominate in the study.

Note: raw and home cooked had very low incidences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts