Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I will be bringing my new puppy home at the end of the month and I have to make a decision of what dog food to wean her onto from her old dog food. Orjin has been recommended to me:
http://http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/freshRegionalIngredients.aspx

and my mother feeds her dogs sportsman pride dogs food and she really likes it:http://www.sportsmanspride.com/home.html

It would be awesome if you guys can tell me whatyou think about both dog foods and what you guys pefer out of the two, and if you guys have any good reccommendations of what to feed my dog?

Thanks,
Hayley

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi...congrats on your new puppy...what breed is he/she? ...and how old?

I've heard that Orijen a good brand - but I've never heard of Sportsman Pride....I live in New Jersey -- probably not big in this area.

I feed my guy Blue Buffalo and he's doing great on it. It's not too expensive and has awesome ingredients. $26.99 for 15 lb Bag. Website: www.bluebuff.com

Just look for a poultry/fish/meat to be the first ingredient with no fillers.:)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Here is the puppy food.
Chicken by-product meal, Rice, Ground Corn, Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Corn Gluten Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar removed), Natural Flavor, Flax, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Yucca Schidigera, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamin Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

Not impressed. Lots of corn, cheap mineral supplements that aren't well absorbed. But one never knows, it could be the best food for your pup.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I highly recommend the Orijen puppy assuming it agrees with your new puppy. Congratulations by the way! If the Orijen puppy does not agree with your new little one you can always try Wellness puppy, Innova puppy, or Blue Buffalo puppy. They're all great foods.

Kathy, were those the ingredients for the Sportmanpride puppy food? If so, I have to agree that it's not very good. I definitely would not recommend it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My westie who is going to be one in June eats Fromm's Four Star, she is doing great on it. I've also tried Wellness, it was good too but more expensive! Good Luck with your new baby! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 1 yr old golden just made the switch to Orijen and so far so good! If you can afford it, it has the best ingredients. I have been waiting a year for truly firm stools and we finally have it with Orijen (amazing how we get excited about these things). As always though, its all about what works best with your dog. Best ingredients don't do any good if your dog won't eat the food!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts