Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this recipe? I could see myself doing something like this as the premade raw diets appeal to me. I do have some questions though:

1: Could I make the meat mix more "red" heavy, and use whatever variety I have at the time?
2: Do the veggies need to be a: cooked? b: pureed/raw? c: finely chopped?
3: Can I leave out the parsley, fenugreek, garlic, rosemary, marigold, seaweed, etc?
4: If I always use bone meal, or calcium carbonate, do I ever HAVE to feed rmb?
5: Is this complete nutrition?

I am not the type of person who would do well trying to keep the right balance feeding bone in meats, like some of you do. I think I would do better with a RECIPE that I can sub meats in, but leave the basic formula the same. I would like to mix, freeze, then thaw & serve. I would not mind adding yogurt, cottage cheese, egss, etc at feeding time. Does anyone already have a formula like this?

Ingredients

2 pounds ground turkey
3/4 ground beef
2 tablespoons bone meal
1 tablespoon fenugreek
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves, use less if dried
1/4 cup marigold petals
1 cup roughly chopped parsley leaves
2 apples, or 8 ounces fruit, no grapes or raisins, roughly chopped
1 squash, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup dandelion greens
1/2 pound haddock, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound beef heart, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound liver, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound kidney, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound gizzards, chopped into 1-inch squares
1/4 pound beef fat, chopped into 1-inch squares
4 eggs
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves pressed garlic
1/2 cup dried organic seaweed, soaked and strained to remove the salt
2 cups chicken or beef stock, optional

Directions

Put ground turkey and beef into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine bone meal, fenugreek, rosemary, marigold petals, and parsley, and mix well. Combine with the meat mixture. Use a food processor to grate apples, squash, and carrots. Add broccoli florets and dandelion greens and mix well. Add to the meat mixture. Combine haddock, beef heart, liver, kidney, gizzards, and beef fat and mix well. Add to the meat mixture. Combine eggs, olive oil, pressed garlic, and seaweed and mix well. Add to the meat mixture and thoroughly mix all the ingredients with your hands.

Recipe can be served as is to dogs that are accustomed to a raw diet. Otherwise make patties and poach them in chicken or beef stock.

To serve either raw or poached, put a generous helping of recipe into dog bowl, add 1 cup of high quality, meat based kibble, 1 egg, 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and supplement with super foods: digestive enzymes, probiotics, co-enzyme q10, and wild blue green algae.

Recipe can be made ahead and stored frozen in 1 week-sized containers.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
All that work would feed 38 pound doesn't eat much Max for about a week and I hate to think how much it would cost to make as things go in and out of season. [Sorry, I am cheap and poor!] This sounds like a reasonable start though, hope it works and you are able to feed more fresh food to your dog now.
1: Could I make the meat mix more "red" heavy, and use whatever variety I have at the time?
YES! Do it. Do use leaner ground beef though.

2: Do the veggies need to be a: cooked? b: pureed/raw? c: finely chopped?
Puree them, chopped isn't going to work well and cooking is more work.

3: Can I leave out the parsley, fenugreek, garlic, rosemary, marigold, seaweed, etc?
I would use a little of the seaweed for iodine but the others are optional. Garlic sure smells good though. I put garlic in the fish food I made, yum.

4: If I always use bone meal, or calcium carbonate, do I ever HAVE to feed rmb?
Nope, it is fine as long as you mix in the equivalent of 900 mg to each pound of food whatever it comes to.

5: Is this complete nutrition?
Yup, a good enough recipe to start with but of course I do have suggestions............

Do serve it mashed around the rim of a plate or in a kong as gulped ground food is a choking hazard believe it or not.

Be very clean when you make it up and keep it cold as ground food grows bacteria very quickly as there is so much surface area exposed to the air.

Grinding and freezing destroy taurine, I would add it to supplements listed. Dogs are supposed to make their own but some don't do a good enough job.

I would use a fatty fish like salmon at about half the amount of haddock for omega 3 and sometimes use 2 oz of canned oysters instead for zinc and all sorts of good stuff.

Gizzards and heart are great, use any kind that comes along, pork/beef/lamb/chicken/turkey/duck. If you find a good deal go ahead and substitute for some of the ground meat as well. Good luck cutting it up, tough stuff!

Ditch the olive oil, plenty of omega 6 and fat in the diet as it is.

Ditch the carrots, apple and dandelion greens and use broccoli, zucchini, cabbage [really] and low oxalate greens and low carb veggies instead. Whatever is on sale and is low calorie/low carb! Use the same weight of veggies, just use lower carb/oxalate ones.

It is important to not use too much seaweed as it is very bad for the thyroid to get more than it needs but this is difficult to figure out. I keep Max's intake to a pinch a day and he doesn't eat much of it.

If you choose to use the fenugreek then it must be ground up or the seeds will just appear in the you know what and probably give you quite a scare.

I learned a lot here. Maybe making the recipe as posted first and each time you make it incorporate one or more of my suggestions and slowly get to the way this newsletter reads would work for you.

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking of doing LARGE batches with my meat grinder and my hubby. I'm kind of cheap too, which is why I haven't done this yet! We always have beef in the freezer that we don't use up before the next 1/2 comes in, and we have deer meat coming soon, too. I'm just trying to decide if homemade will be a cost effective option for us. I have a 70lb, 35lb, 25 lb, and a 17lb dog, plus 3 cats. So, this recipe is barely a drop in the bucket for us! Right now I spend about 70 a month in feed.

If I buy chicken quarters, and feed a thigh or a leg. . . how many times a week will they need this if I skip the bone meal? I'm so undecided right now. . . this is the second time I have seriously considered raw. It's so intimidating, and hard to know the cost up front.

Edit:
Can cats and dogs eat the same raw diet? Do cats eat chunks or ground better?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
From what I read cats eat what they eat! They can be very picky and choosy about new diets. I read that raw mixed with canned tuna juice gets them eating or just putting one tiny morsel on the dish and once they decide it isn't going to jump up and bite them and eat it they get 2 morsels.

Figure 2% of the total weight of the dogs as the basic amount they need to start out. If any get fluffy or ribby adjust the amount. If you have about 150 pounds of dog you would start off with 3 pounds of meaty stuff a day mixed with the veggies and supplements portioned out per dog. Max weighs 38 pounds and eats 10 ounces a day, 18 pounds a month. His stuff ranges from $.40-1.75 a pound and if I fed the expensive stuff daily it would cost $31 a month and if he ate low end more like $18 a month but I am not adding in veggies and lots of supplements.

Make up a batch and use as a kibble mix in if going 100% fresh looks too expensive. Any fresh food is good stuff, fine if you don't feed 100% fresh. Go slow and remember to reduce the amount of kibble to avoid tummy upsets.

Feed the chicken same as the ground stuff, 2% of the dog's weight. If you fed about half bony chicken and half of the ground you would be just about right, 15% bone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts