Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am curious, I always see all these prices/lbs listed here, people saying oh you can get so much better for cheaper and listing prices that you would never find here. things like high quality grain free foods at $1lbs... you could not even get ol roy for $1/lbs here, ifs that your budget your getting doller store kibble lol, if your willing to go up to $1.50/lb your can go up to Iams or equivilent, $2/lbs will get you mid range, like say Nutro. $2.50/lb is the least your can get away with for a good quality grain inclusive kibble, but food like Orijen is close to $5.50/lb.. dehydradeted raws are worse...Canisource is $100 for a 10kg box, grandma lucys is $55 for a 3lbs bag, THK is$159 for the bigger box, freeze dried like k9natural is $239 a box. I am so used to these prices that I dont bat an eye at $89 for a bag of Orijen(or $26 for a 5lbs bag) lol so I am always a tad confused when someone posts a $70 food and I see all these comments about that being unaffordable and better foods like Orijen being much cheaper, and $2/lb being awfully pricy lol.

so what is the dog food price rang in your area? what would YOU consider too much?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I buy Taste of the Wild (a good quality grain free food) at I think $24ish for 16 pounds. So around $1.50 per pound. Admittedly though, it's one of the best bargain premium foods out there, so it's only going to get pricier for similar foods. If you wanted a good grain-inclusive food for a little cheaper 4Health I'm pretty sure is around $1 per pound. You have to shop at a farm supply store usually to get prices like this, though. When my parents fed Beneful I'm certain it was significantly less than $1 per pound.

I wouldn't pay more than around $2 a pound because I just can't afford it. Honestly, I haven't seen the type of comments you're mentioning, but I used to be a much more frequent visitor of the food forum before I settled on something that works well for us. Some of those might end up being cheaper than store brand generics because you don't have to feed as much, but aside from that I guess regional price/income differences are my only explanation.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol the prices I am talking about are FROM farm stores :p

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Interesting thread...here are the foods that either I have bought or am considering for future use in our rotation. Prices w/o taxes figured in. If you don't mind, what area do you live in? I'm in Michigan and my prices are from TSC, Petsmart or Pet Supplies Plus.

TOTW I usually pay between $45-48 for a 30lb bag, which is around $1.50/lb.
4Health is $30 for 35lbs, $.85/lb
Diamond Naturals is $30 for 40lbs, $.75/lb
Chicken Soup, $43 for 35lbs, $1.22/lb
Innova, $65 for 30 lbs, $2.17/lb
Innova Prime (GF), $65 for 25 lbs, $2.60/lb
Wellness Core, $60 for 26 lbs, $2.31/lb
Simply Nourish, $46 for 30lbs, $1.53/lb
Canidae, $54 for 44lbs, $1.22/lb
BB Freedom, $52 for 24lbs, 2.17/lb

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
In PA at Tractor Supply I can get a 18 pound bag of 4Health for $17.99 (before taxes - PA has 6% sales tax) so $1 per pound. 4Health is a 4 star rated food on dogfoodadvisor.
Comparatively-I can get a 35 pound bag of 4Health for $29.99. $.86 cents/pound

I go over to NJ and I buy Taste of the Wild. Where I go (Cherrybrook) it's $26.49 for a 15 pound bag. (At the warehouse I only pay 3% tax) $1.76/pound
30 pound bag for 48.99. $1.63/pound

I feed Taste of the Wild because Bella LOVES it. If she didn't like it and we had to pay a bit more for a food she really liked - then we would. If she really enjoyed 4Health or a brand similar in quality that was less than that - then we'd feed that. One bag of ToTW lasts almost 2 months between three dogs in my house.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah, where DO you live? If Ol'Roy cost $40 a bag, there would be a lot of dogs starving to death around here. . .

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am in Sask. Canada. TOTW wild here is about $68 for the medium bag, Acana is $52 for a 15lbs bag. I was paying $62 for a 25lbs bag of Go! duck when Gem was younger. when I first started buying my own dogs food I used to choke at the prices, but I am so used to them now that I dont question it lol

most people I know jus find a way to fit it into their budgets..a friend of mine is extremly low income and has 2 kids and she feeds her dog Orijen, she often has to buy the 5.5lbs bags because its all she can afford at a time, but she manages. I am hardly high income..I could not even be considered middle class, and I manage to feed 6 dogs the top range foods just fine. otherwise a lot of people here mix foods, its not unusual to see a dog eating Canisource one day and Ol'roy the next because people by the food based on there money when they need food..if they have extra they buy the good stuff, if they are lower in funds they by crappy stuff..and some just do a high/low quality mix.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Are you in the middle of nowhere? It costs extra to have things trucked in so tiny towns frequently have higher prices. And I don't know what the Canadian/American money exchange rate is so maybe that make a small difference.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope I am in the queen city lol

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
At those prices (even with the exchange rate) I'd look into buying these foods online. But yeah, I occasionally buy a small bag of a not so good food just to tide us over if the food runs out at a bad time in the pay period. Right now she's almost finished with a 5 pound bag of Nutrish, but when it runs out we're going back to Taste of the Wild for the foreseeable future. You gotta do what you've gotta do. When she's on cheaper foods for a little while I try to give her more fatty extras like eggs (also cheap) and fish oil pills I buy for myself because she does best on a higher fat food, which most grain free foods are.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I feed Go! (the kind with grain) and I pay $1.37/lb for it. Not bad, all considered. Kit would do fine on anything, including grocery store kibble, but since she's so active, I'm picky.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, in general aren't Canadian prices higher than US prices? I know most things I see that have both the US price and Canadian price have a higher price for the Canadian.

Down in North Carolina I pay $33.00 for a 40lb bag of Diamond Naturals, $29.99 for a 35 lb of 4health, $28.99 for a 40lb bag of Kirkland and $29.99 for a 30lb bag of Nature's Domain..

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ for many things yes, usually because of the exchange rate(but we have been par or close to it for a while now) or because its made in the US and imported here, but neither exuse flys for foods like Go! and Orijen which are Canadian brands lol

·
Registered
943 Posts
Everything is more expensive up here regardless of exchange rate lol. Take houses for example, my parent's sold a condo in Ft McMurray, fairly old, pretty small, and in the crappiest place in Alberta to live, for around $400,000 CAD, and bought a beautiful decent sized house in Florida, on 1/4 acre lot close to the ocean, with a pool and what not, for $200,000 US. Its ridiculous, but of course things like dog food are much pricier as well. Alcohol too.. I can't believe how CHEAP booze is in the states. Blows my mind, I would be an alcoholic for sure if I lived there 24/7 lol

But for dog food, I feed raw mostly, which is pretty damn expensive, but I do buy and feed kibble occasionally too just to help cushion cost of dog food per month, and I normally buy Fromms, Acana, NOW!, Timberwolf, Nature's Variety, etc and on all of them and I will usually buy three 5lb bags, and for those brands they are anywhere between $17-$22/5lb bag. Costs me around $60 to buy the three 5lb bags of kibble and that will last me approx 2 months with 2 dogs with the amount I feed. Raw.. well lets just say between the commercial premade brand I buy that I get a %10 discount on, and buying prey model raw either from grocery stores or whatever I find, probably costs me around $150/month, then combined with the kibble cost, I'm spending anywhere between $175-$200/month on dog food for 2 small/medium sized dogs. This isn't including treats, toys, bones, etc either, that's probably another $50 or so a month. Anyway, I probably spend about $2800/year tops on dog food/treats/bones/toys etc. Dogsitting I know I spend an average of $500/year or more, and vet bills well they don't go to a vet very often so couldn't say.. lol lets just hope no vet costs for a long, long time lol.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yep, things up here are definitely more expensive. The dog food prices are expensive here too if it makes you feel any better Miss Bugs. If you want to save some money you should look for prices online, a lot of stores will deliver for free. I've paid anywhere from 1.5$/lb to 2.5$/lb for dog food in stores here in Vancouver.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Here just outside Philadelphia, PA, TotW is about $28 for 15 lbs. I didn't check Orijen but I saw Acana for $40 for 15 lbs. I am in the process of switching Buffy from TotW to Annamaet, which is also $40 for 15 lbs. I figure it's worth cutting back on my entertainment a little to give her a food from a smaller, local factory rather than one made at Diamond's plants.

I would expect Acana/Orijen to be cheaper in Canada than in the U.S.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
We found an online source that has TOTW, 30lbs. for $39.99 and free shipping for orders over $49. We can usually find another $10 worth of stuff to buy. The savings on the food more than makes up for the extra $10. I think TSC has TOTW for about the same price, but it's 30 miles away and not near any other place we go.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
In DC, we used to pay $46 for 30 pounds of TOTW. We switched to Acana Ranchlands which is $73 for just shy of 30 lbs, ouch. The other Acana varieties are a little less.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I'm in central New Hampshire, USA. I pay $75 for The Honest Kitchens Embark and $95 for their Love, both 10lb boxes. TOTW is $47 at TS but a few bucks more at a pet store. I can't tell you about other foods. I sometimes order online from Pet Flow and ordered Love from doggiefood.com on sale, with free shipping, last week.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts