1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
If you wish to educate yourself about HOW to choose a good dog food, go here:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

If you want to know which foods are better than others, go here:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php/cat/1

The better quality dog foods are DEFINITELY better for your dog. You often feed less, too, of the good quality food so check out serving size before you freak out at the prices :D

By the way, DO NOT judge a food by price. Some very high priced foods are not very good quality. Most foods sold in vet's offices and in grocery/department stores are not very high quality foods (with exceptions, of course).

Royal Canin, Iams, Science Diet, etc., are NOT good foods.

On the list of dry dog foods, there are quite a few that aren't all that expensive yet are still four stars if you're worried about price.

The problem with most "crappy" quality dog foods are too many chemicals, "junk" for fillers such as sawdust and peanut hulls, too many grains dogs do not neet, very low quality, NOT fit for human consumption meats.

You'll notice a huge difference in your dog's stool, his coat and how often he needs to go to the vet if you feed a really good quality dog food to your dog :)

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I like the dogfoodanalysis.com ratings. And I consider anything that is 5 or 6-star to be a good enough food for my dog. So if it were me, I would choose from that selection and sleep well at night! If money is an issue there are even some good foods in the 4-star category that I have fed with good results.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I think a beagle/boxer mix would just be a Bogle....only one g..LOL

I like the dogfoodanalysis.com website....I am currently feeding Wellness to my pug and TOTW to my APBT and Boston (they had too much gas on the wellness)...

You may have to try out more then one brand of food till you find what fits your pup

·
Registered
64 Posts
myminpins suggest the two links to websites I always suggest, too.

I would really, highly suggest you use Innova EVO Red Meat and/or regular. They're both 6 stars and considered all over the net to be a top brand. I use them too and so do countless others here. But also keep in mind there's a good 10 or so other brands that are just as good or just a little less quality but still miles ahead of stuff you find at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For your dog, I would recommend a grainless, mostly protein diet. Boxers have lean muscle mass, they need the protein for energy and strength. EVO, Orijen, Wellness Core, all are great grain free foods.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Everybody has their own opinion on foods, some people have VERY strong opinions. Basically you have to decide for yourself what is best for your dog. IMHO anything with wheat, corn or by-products are no good. Myself I feed Acana, when Orijen came out I decided not to switch because my dogs were good on what they were eating. It still does surprise me how much difference the foods make on their coats and on what is left behind. We recently got a puppy and the people had him on Happy Hound, never heard of it and never got to look at the details on the food. We started switching him right away to Acana Puppy Large Breed and what a difference. His feces were alot less and alot less stinky too. His coat is getting much better also.

All in all, do your research and decide for yourself. I find that nobody agrees on dog food, so you will never find something that everyone will agree with.:D

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
All in all, do your research and decide for yourself. I find that nobody agrees on dog food, so you will never find something that everyone will agree with.:D
This is SO true!! You just have to keep reading different websites and suggestions and see what works for your dog. As the old saying goes "one size does not fit all". I feed Innova and rotate with Wellness brands.

My fave food research sites are www.dogaware.com and www.dogfoodproject.com

Good luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Samples are your best friend, when it comes to taste, You can't really tell how your dog will do in the long run. I know Orijen has $1.99 .88lb bags and $2.49 .88lb bag for the 6 Fish. I currently feed Orijen Puppy, and I plan on feeding the 6 fish when she turns a year. Fish does amazing things to dogs, the fish oils work wonders. It's a bit on the expensive side, but I figure this is preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having a problem with my bullmastiff puppy (6 months) and diarrhea. I am thinking about changing his food, and like the dog food analysis website. Where do you get some of this quality food? Petsmart (largest pet store near me) does not carry any of the 4 or 5 star foods, so where can I buy?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am having a problem with my bullmastiff puppy (6 months) and diarrhea. I am thinking about changing his food, and like the dog food analysis website. Where do you get some of this quality food? Petsmart (largest pet store near me) does not carry any of the 4 or 5 star foods, so where can I buy?

Well, Petsmart should carry Blue Buffalo, they have a Blue Wilderness sub brand which is 6 stars. Also, you can try www.petfooddirect.com, they have almost all types of food, plus new customers get 22% off their order, that should cover the shipping costs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Also, Petsmart is the largest store because it caters to the largest masses of pet owners, not because it carries the most premium products. For more premium brands, seek out a local pet store or boutique. Pet Supplies Plus is a chain store and they sell quite a number of premium and holistic foods.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also, Petsmart is the largest store because it caters to the largest masses of pet owners, not because it carries the most premium products. For more premium brands, seek out a local pet store or boutique. Pet Supplies Plus is a chain store and they sell quite a number of premium and holistic foods.
Here in the mid-west there's a chain of stores called "Southern Agriculture" and they cater to all kinds of animal needs including cows, horses, etc.

They carry every single top name brand of dog food except Orijen.

I say this just to support your post, dansamy, in that every city for the most part has a special pet supplies store that tends to carry high end foods.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I figured I'd ask in this topic instead of making another one... Can anyone suggest Blue Buffalo for their pup? They sound very good, but I'd like to hear from someone who's used it.

EDIT: Actually, any really good pup food will do. I want to feed him the best that I can, and I know I'd have to make a switch from his current pet food.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, Petsmart should carry Blue Buffalo, they have a Blue Wilderness sub brand which is 6 stars. Also, you can try www.petfooddirect.com, they have almost all types of food, plus new customers get 22% off their order, that should cover the shipping costs.

You may have to get it online (as already suggested) or there may be smaller pet food places in your area that carry some better brands.

Around here there are even doggy daycares that carry Merrick, etc.

Once you decide on a food and find out that it agrees with your pup, a little research (even the company's own webiste) will let you know where it's carried in your area. Just don't go buying a 50 lb. bag of something until you're SURE about it!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I figured I'd ask in this topic instead of making another one... Can anyone suggest Blue Buffalo for their pup? They sound very good, but I'd like to hear from someone who's used it.

EDIT: Actually, any really good pup food will do. I want to feed him the best that I can, and I know I'd have to make a switch from his current pet food.
The best puppy food, in my opinion is Orijen Puppy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Alright, thanks. I've also read about Innova, and that seems really good too. Have you tried that? There are no stores that sell orijen nearby, but there is a store right in town who sells innova.
I like Orijen because the ingredients better mimick what they would find in the wild, like herbs, botanicals, etc.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts