Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Don't know that I've ever gotten a bag of bad dog food (knock on wood)--but I'd say probably the smell would be the first clue--and then maybe the look of the food itself.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I would also agree the smell would be the first give-a-way. I would take it back to the retailer ... just like with human food ... " When in doubt ... throw it out! "

I would seriously take it back and get something else and also check the expiration dates. I always keep my bags after I put it into a container so I have the lot numbers always on hand in case of a recall also.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
look for mold as well, old dog food sometimes grows mold or simply discolours.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If your dog normally likes that brand/flavor of food and doesn't want to eat it for some reason, that would make me suspicious.

I have a big plastic tub that holds the entire 30 lb. bag of food, so I just put the whole thing in there, bag and all. That way I still have the bag, plus I don't have to clean the tub between bags. Lazy win!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also agree the smell would be the first give-a-way. I would take it back to the retailer ... just like with human food ... " When in doubt ... throw it out! "

I would seriously take it back and get something else and also check the expiration dates. I always keep my bags after I put it into a container so I have the lot numbers always on hand in case of a recall also.
what would it smell like?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
what would it smell like?
I would think a soured smell ... bitter smell ... pungent ... sort of an overwhelming hit you in the face smell ... like spoiled food would have ... it is hard to put into words ... sort of like spoiled lunch meat would be a close smell .....

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have had bags that smell rancid, like spoiled oil. Once I had a bag with kibble that seemed damp.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If your dog normally likes that brand/flavor of food and doesn't want to eat it for some reason, that would make me suspicious.

I have a big plastic tub that holds the entire 30 lb. bag of food, so I just put the whole thing in there, bag and all. That way I still have the bag, plus I don't have to clean the tub between bags. Lazy win!
thats actully a really good idea! im going to start doing that LOL.

We had dog food go bad, it smelt terrible and it had mold. I know if we have dog food that gets wet/ damp for what ever reason ( water leaked in, etc) we toss it becuase it will mold.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
thats actully a really good idea! im going to start doing that LOL.

We had dog food go bad, it smelt terrible and it had mold. I know if we have dog food that gets wet/ damp for what ever reason ( water leaked in, etc) we toss it becuase it will mold.
I got the tub at Bed Bath and Beyond. It also has wheels. Worth the few dollars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts