Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, so first off, hello!

My question is this....I have an older spring spaniel (about 14 years old) that we have been feeding Sprout Senior food for quite a while now. Just recently, we got a boxer who is about two years old. I need a good food that I can feed them both at the same time, even though they may have different requirements. The boxer isn't extremely active, and actually our spaniel probably runs around more than he does.

I'm extremely confused with dog food as well...What's good and what isn't?! There are so many brands out there. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but want what is best for my two dogs.

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I recommend this two sites. They can answer all of your questions about what makes a good dog food and they also both have reviews of foods. But if you read up on the breakdown of WHY certain foods are good or bad you can be better equipped to make the decision for yourself based on what is available in your area.

www.dogfoodadvisor.com
www.dogfoodanalysis.com

A couple things, though-- very few good foods are sold in grocery stores (in my area practically none) but that doesn't mean they aren't available. Usually pet stores and feed stores (like Tractor Supply, which does carry TOTW btw, and I feed it as well) will carry an array of high quality foods. You just have to look around.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I suggest a grain free or limited ingredient kibble. No corn, wheat, nor soy. And I agree that Taste of the Wild is good, I fed my dog that before switching to the raw diet. Natural balance, Blue Buffalo, Wellness Core are some other good brands as well.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
It can still mean "all life adult stages" couldn't it? Also do you have a Petco/petsmart in your area? They also carry a lot of high end foods, the dog food analysis site is a great place to start & I wouldn't feed anything less then 4 stars (tho I don't feed anything less then 5 stars) & since I rotate I never run out of combos/options.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, so first off, hello!

My question is this....I have an older spring spaniel (about 14 years old) that we have been feeding Sprout Senior food for quite a while now. Just recently, we got a boxer who is about two years old. I need a good food that I can feed them both at the same time, even though they may have different requirements. The boxer isn't extremely active, and actually our spaniel probably runs around more than he does.

I'm extremely confused with dog food as well...What's good and what isn't?! There are so many brands out there. I don't want to spend a ton of money, but want what is best for my two dogs.

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I had a GSD/Husky mix who I switched over to a grain free diet at 13 years old because she was becoming incontinent and having some skin problems in the winter. Someone suggested going to a better food (EVO) than what we were feeding her (Pedigree). It was like it took 3 years off her age! She was playing more and just acted like she finally felt well. She lived to a healthy 17 years old, a large part of that I believe is because of her improved nutrition. The day I had to put her to sleep we went on a mile hike at her favorite park as a way to say goodbye. She had an aggressive cancerous tumor on her leg and it was kinder to let her go while she was still feeling well instead of waiting until she was actually suffering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a GSD/Husky mix who I switched over to a grain free diet at 13 years old because she was becoming incontinent and having some skin problems in the winter. Someone suggested going to a better food (EVO) than what we were feeding her (Pedigree). It was like it took 3 years off her age! She was playing more and just acted like she finally felt well. She lived to a healthy 17 years old, a large part of that I believe is because of her improved nutrition. The day I had to put her to sleep we went on a mile hike at her favorite park as a way to say goodbye. She had an aggressive cancerous tumor on her leg and it was kinder to let her go while she was still feeling well instead of waiting until she was actually suffering.
That's a very touching (but sad of coarse) story...thank you for sharing that. I like to think that feeding good quality foods will help with the longevity of a dogs life :), even if it doesn't actually make them live LONGER, but BETTER...like you said, your dog was able to go on a walk the day you put her down, that's a good life for a dog!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts