Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how to keep german shepherds food motivated to dry kibble? would there be any additives that i can put in my kibble that would keep them food motivated and hold a descent weight? i follow the food charts on my dogs and they always seem to leave alittle to majority left. and it freaks me out. i've seen rice added and also veggies. would anyone know the ratio of additives to the kibble per dog? thank you and hope to hear from you all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hitch does not like kibble much. He used to leave a lot of it behind. He also does not like rice or veggies. I but a very small amount of plain cooked lean ground meat in his food. I just put about a tablespoon or two in his food, just enough to get him interested. My mom does steamed veggies, she puts a good handful of them in her dogs food, mainly green beans.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
What are you currently feeding? I see you're in Guam and understand your food choices may be limited but maybe a different food would be more appetizing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You could try making a broth (boil chicken or beef or whatever in unsalted water, let it cool, skim the fat) Float the kibble in the broth. I always float kibble (not soak, I just add enough warm water that it's floating then feed). to make sure they get enough water anyway... so floating with a broth might make him more inclined to eat :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I thank god daily that my dogs eat anything in their bowl. One of the things mine eat is a pre made raw, looks like a rectangular shaped hunk of ground meat. I make a little well in it and put in powder bug off garlic, powder probiotic, liquid ACV, liquid fish oil for one, the other one gets fish oil capsules & a cranberry. I fold one half over the well and they eat it right down. Even if they have kibble, I add all this plus a little water and down it goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i'm using eaukanba adult right now... but will soon change to diamond puppy. for some reason being that it's so humid out here i stay using puppy foods. me asking for food additives would be that i'm on a budget being that dog food can be pricey out here. anyways i started using a cup of cooked white rice, a table spoon of tuna in the can and a raw egg with shell included, i'm also thinking of using a table spoon of used cooking oil.

hey another thing is that i noticed that me giving limited water supply my dogs gain alittle more with a greater apetite and a about three cups of water after feeding. some may not agree with being that the dog should have a unlimited supply of water and i've tried that. it's so hot out here some times that they get fool on just water itself. i have two german shepherds and just rescently baught a pure yellow lab and she is on diamond puppy. i really don't have to worry much about her being that labs have great apetites. it's the german shepherds i have a problem with. and i also noticed that it's not only me trying to keep weight on them.. i see alot of shepherds eating alot of additives just to keep them food motivated. thanks for the comment and hope to hear more of my feeding ways.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If you add too much stuff, you risk unbalancing their entire diet. This is especially dangerous for growing puppies. Make sure that whatever you add doesn't exceed 15% of the diet--if you're adding a cup of rice to every meal, that's probably more than 50% of their diet! And rice is particularly non-nutritious for dogs, purely filler. The dog food has plenty of grains, you don't need to add more. If you want to add some meat, fish, or eggs, that would be fine :).

Be careful about giving a lot of water after eating. This is thought to contribute to gastric torsion (bloat), which GSDs and Labs are prone to anyway. Personally, if I lived somewhere tropical, I would definitely not restrict water intake at all. That can cause dehydration and heat exhaustion. If you want to take the water up about an hour before mealtime so they wouldn't be full, that would likely be fine, but restricting it all the time could be very dangerous.

Also, are your dogs skinny/underweight? Most of the time the amount recommended in the charts is just too much. So if they're of a healthy weight, don't worry!

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can safely add the Wild Alaskan Salmon oil to your dogs food,this will help him obtain a shiney,healthy coat itas loaded with omega fatty acids and also they love the salmon! I put two pumps and take a spoon and just lightly mix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey willowy that was a great point. i guess removing the starch won't be that bad but i would still have to use the tuna and egg just to keep him meal motivated. i can't say that there underweight i just don't like seeing alittle rib cage. he's just a active pupp i guess. i have one male that is pushing alittle over 2 years and a male that is turning 1. i follow the whole food chart per bag of whatever feed i'm using. i was thinking about reducing it just by alittle to keep him hungry. i know your really suppose to feed 2 percent of the overall weight and that would probably be the best for me it's just shepherds keep me on my toes when it comes to keeping them up to par with weight. right now on the eaukanuba is showing 4-5 (8oz.) cups of dog kibble and i was thinking to feed 3 to 3 in a half for a couple of weeks and see where that goes. any tips would be greatly acknowledged and helpful. also i will be leaving a clean pale of water and feeding dry kibble with my 2 additives. if you don't mind me asking what would your feeding regiment be and how do you maintain weight on your dogs?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can safely add the Wild Alaskan Salmon oil to your dogs food,this will help him obtain a shiney,healthy coat itas loaded with omega fatty acids and also they love the salmon! I put two pumps and take a spoon and just lightly mix.
hey bear thanks for the response, i just have one problem that would be something i might have to order. would there be any substitute like cod liver pills or even just regular/ used cooking oil? all the idea's i'm reading are really great it's just things can't happen over night and i could be one impatient person.lol... the things we go through with dogs are sometimes overwelming how we worry about them. if i was still into bullies wow would my world be alot easier. just to think i released over 15 blues with in the last 6 months and kept my gsd's being that i use them for guard.

·
Registered
438 Posts
hey bear thanks for the response, i just have one problem that would be something i might have to order. would there be any substitute like cod liver pills or even just regular/ used cooking oil? all the idea's i'm reading are really great it's just things can't happen over night and i could be one impatient person.lol... the things we go through with dogs are sometimes overwelming how we worry about them. if i was still into bullies wow would my world be alot easier. just to think i released over 15 blues with in the last 6 months and kept my gsd's being that i use them for guard.
I really dont think I would use reg human cooking oil,benefitss will not be the same.Here is a break down of the benefit difference in Salmon and Cod.Also the actual oil( not pills) give a higher dosage of the actual oil needed.Here is some info regarding.Also,You hade Blue Bullies or Amstaffs?
Salmon Oil and Cod Liver Oil contain similar levels of omega-3s.

Beyond that, the choice is a matter of personal preference and needs.

Both fish oils are highly beneficial, but each offers distinctive features:

Only unrefined Salmon Oil like ours contains the powerful, red-hued antioxidant called astaxanthin, which is stripped out of refined Salmon oil supplements.)
Both oils contain vitamins D and A, with Cod Liver Oil providing considerably more of each. (Whole wild Salmon are extremely rich in vitamin D; a 6-oz serving provides about as much vitamin D as a 1,000 mg capsule of Cod Liver Oil.)
Both oils contain about 20 percent saturated fat.
Both oils are low in omega-6 fats (no more than 10 percent).

NOTE: In terms of volume, one teaspoon contains 4 times as much oil as a 1,000 mg capsule.

Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil is pure oil and made only from wild, non-farmed Alaskan salmon and stabilized with natural antioxidants to maintain its fatty acid content and taste. Nutri-Vet's salmon oil provides a daily supplement rich in EPA ad DHA that help maintain healthy skin and coat condition and promote strong immune, cardiovascular and nervous

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You can use fish oil capsules meant for human use if you can get that easier. I haven't done it but read that putting the capsule in hot water will dissolve it so you can mix it with the water and then the kibble. A dog as large as a GSD can take a human dosage.

I suspect you are trying to feed the dogs past what they need if you are trying to get the suggested amount on the bag into them as most of the time that is more than dogs need. You could attempt to train them to clean their bowls by only feeding what they eat until they are accustomed to cleaning them and very gradually putting a little more into the bowls.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You can use fish oil capsules meant for human use if you can get that easier. I haven't done it but read that putting the capsule in hot water will dissolve it so you can mix it with the water and then the kibble. A dog as large as a GSD can take a human dosage.

I suspect you are trying to feed the dogs past what they need if you are trying to get the suggested amount on the bag into them as most of the time that is more than dogs need. You could attempt to train them to clean their bowls by only feeding what they eat until they are accustomed to cleaning them and very gradually putting a little more into the bowls.
I would not give the human fish oil.

Salmon oil for dogs contains the omega-3 fatty acids which are beneficial to your pet. It has no side effects and helps to ensure that every part of your dog remains healthy. This means that not only will the skin be healthier, but the dog’s joints and muscles will also benefit from fish oil for dogs. The oil can be given orally to the pet. Dogs metabolize oil differently than humans do, so they will not gain weight when given oil directly through the mouth. This makes it safe to give your pet oil in its food.

You will find omega-3 fatty acids in most types of meats. However, you can get the highest concentration from fish. Giving your pet meats from grain-fed animals is generally healthy, but reduces the pet’s intake of salmon oil. Try to include foods like salmon in your dog’s diet to keep its skin healthy. You can enrich any dog food with fish oil for dogs.

Fish oil for dogs ensures that the skin of your pet remains smooth and glossy. Your pet’s bones and teeth will also be strengthened, allowing it to be healthy when active. Salmon oil also helps to prevent conditions such as arthritis and joint pain. The oil helps boost the immune system of your dog. This is possible through the essential micro-nutrients provided in the oil, which are not available in most other foods.

Salmon oil can boost the mental capacity of young dogs. Healthy, intelligent dogs can be brought up with the use of salmon oil. Not only is it good for the pet’s brain, but it can help solve a lot of canine health issues. Dogs of all ages will benefit from this oil.

Many scientists recommend salmon oil for puppies. Fatty acids in the oil are good for the pets. You will find that some processed dog foods mention salmon on their labels. This is because dog food manufacturers are beginning to realize how essential salmon oil is to a dog’s health.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Um, what's the difference between salmon oil "for humans" and salmon oil "for dogs"?

Sorry, I don't have trouble keeping weight on my dogs! They're chowhounds and I have to keep them from getting too fat, LOL.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Um, what's the difference between salmon oil "for humans" and salmon oil "for dogs"?

Sorry, I don't have trouble keeping weight on my dogs! They're chowhounds and I have to keep them from getting too fat, LOL.
From my understanding the regulations for pet-specific products are not as strict. Some bottles don't even have ingredients listed. Even if it says "100% salmon oil" or "100% fish oil" there are obviously other ingredients if it's a softgel, such as glycerin and gelatin to make the pill casing. Who knows what else is in there? Soy probably too? I don't trust pet-specific oils.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I give human fish oil. Human grade items are pretty much always more regulated and higher quality than stuff for pets though when it comes to fish oil, I mostly just think "pet specific" fish oil is overpriced. I just bite a small hole in the softgel and squeeze it out on the food. I then eat what's left of the softgel so nothing's wasted :). It's very fishy but not overly disgusting.

I guess fish oil that have added a lot of vitamin E could be a concern for pets since their vitamin E tolerances are different than humans. I've never looked at the label of a fish oil + vitamin E softgel so idk how much vitamin E is actually in those. I just give vitamin E separately.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I buy human fish oil too. It's cheaper, I know what's in it and I only have to buy one bottle at a time for both me and the dog. Omega 3 is really good for humans too, in a variety of ways.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Vitamin E = soy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
right on guys, i'm loving all this help. i've done my share of research annd i seem to be getting alot of similar responses and opinions. i'll keep a look out for fish oil to be exact and hopefully our local pet stores would have some or similar to. i'm just anal about my dogs apetite and for some reason i have a hard time getting satisfied with their weights. well i'm gonna keep using a table spoon of tuna in the can and a raw egg but at the same time i'm gonna cut down the kibble amount in half. i'v noticed that on the feeding charts some do go up and down by age. my diamond bag says at 20-30lbs feed 2-2.5 scoops of a (8oz.) cup and that's at 4 months. then from 5-8 months go to 4 scoops and when the pupp turns 8-12 months it says to reduce back down to 2-3 scoops. sounds alittle crazy but i believe that would be for weight control and to keep them meal motivated. well i wanna thank everyone for your input and would like to hear alot more if any.

hey SIBE if you get this message have you ever been to guam and hope to hear from you. thanks again

1 - 20 of 30 Posts