Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is sick and tired of Natural Balance and so am I. I plan on changing his dry dog food to maybe Nature's Variety Prairie or Maybe Fromm or Earthborn. Can I mix in a little Primal Raw Chicken or Bravo Raw Chicken in case he doesn't eat it plain? He will not eat Natural Balance anymore and today he sniffed his bowl when I put the food in and he was like OH HELL NO, I'm going back upstairs to lie under the bed. Any thoughts on this mix?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If you have it, it won't hurt anything. There are some that say 'never' but I know quite a few people who feed both all the time. Just like with people the ideal is to eat melon only, wait an hour, then eat other foods, not mix fruit with anything though, eat them separately........ I've had watermelon after dinner and lived.

If you don't have it, and have to go get something, get some tripette or tripe. Most dogs won't turn that down. There is even dehydrated tripe that breaks down very well and would make a great topper with water.... mmm....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies Bordermom and Hallie. I'll probably do a 70/30 mix or 95/5 mix. Add the kibble and smear the raw on the kibble so that every kibble is coated and as always....WASH MY HANDS.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I believe the main reason people say don't mix raw with kibble is because of the digestion rate and bacteria. Raw is estimated to be digested faster than kibble, and because raw has bacteria in it the kibble can hold it in the digestive tract longer thus, apparently causing upset stomach but no, I don't neccesarily feel as though you mustn't mix, as long as your dogs stomach is okay with it. I feed primarily raw but I do feed kibble occasionally as well but when i feed it as a separate meal and allow at least 7 hours in between, I have seen first hand what has happened when one of my dogs accidentally (without me knowing) got into a friends dogs food bowl and gobbled down some kibble shortly before I brought him home an hour later and fed him raw he had the runs for about a day straight, but the same thing happened after he ate raw, he got into some kibble and he was fine. Mixing a little raw in with dry might not be an issue either if its digesting all together, but for me, I have to ensure my dogs don't eat any kibble atleast 7 hours prior to raw, just to err on the side of caution :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Some dogs' digestive tracts can handle mixing, some can't. I'd get him fully switched onto the dry kibble, then slowly introduce the raw.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I mix them together at every meal. I've heard the "digest at different rates" thing but honestly it really doesn't make much sense to me. Try it, if your dog is fine with it then he's fine with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts