Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i feed my do hill's science diet d/d salmon and potato dog food. she has had cronic ear infections. does anyone know if this might be an allergey to the food?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
i feed my do hill's science diet d/d salmon and potato dog food. she has had cronic ear infections. does anyone know if this might be an allergey to the food?
It might be possible. Science Diet, from my experience, isn't great. Dexter was on it when we first adopted him, and he had the worst gas. Now he's on Canidae, and he just seems much happier... and less gassy. And his stools are always very neat and tidy. (hah)

·
Banned
251 Posts
Try Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea, or Instinct Duck and Turkey or Instinct Rabbit.

I would get away from the Science Diet, personally.

The carbohydrate level is through the roof, and the guaranteed analysis of this food doesn't even meet the minimum requirement for protein unless they use the dry matter values (less the avg 10% moisture found in kibble). 18% is the minimum necessary for SURVIVAL, and the guaranteed minimum is 14%, the as fed is 16.6%.

The food is mainly made of potato, with very little meat content.

As for the ears, I recommend Gentian Ear Treatment by Urban Carnivore if you can get it, or any product that contains Gentian Violet and Boric Acid. This keeps the ear canal dry and acidic, a poor environment for yeast and bacteria.

At first you may find an increase in symptoms, but don't panic... stay with it for 8-10 weeks before discounting a brand. Allergies can be a tough thing to deal with. Once you figure out the culprit though (in this case I think it's simply a case of yeast overgrowth, although I'd need a full history to be more sure) you can get a better handle on the situation.

Best of luck!!!!

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts