Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up my puppy for agility classes. Granted we are in foundation classes and nothing crazy yet. My question is for dogs that are inm agility what types of food are you feeding? Anything special I should look for? Right now he is on orijen puppy, after this bag he will be on adult orijen and i am gonna start off with 6 fish. Thanks everyone for all the input.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I am feeding Pro Pac's grain free line right now because I can't afford something like Orijin (bravo that you can!!!), though, even if I coult I doubt that Lincoln would do well on it, because it would likely be too rich for him and he would have poop explosions LOL.

Here is a list of the foods I have fed or would be comfortable feeding (note some are on the pricy side).

4 health (either the grain free or the grain inclusive)
back to basics
holistic select
earthborn holistic
natures variety
taste of the wild (before they changed their formulas, now mine wont eat it LOL)
EVO / innova (before they were discontinued)

Here are foods I fed but wouldnt feed anymore for various reasons (mostly because most of them are owned by a large company):
Merrick / castor and pollux (bought out by evil empire purina)
blue buffalo (bought out by mars)
canidae

(all these below were decent foods back in the day, but now the only way I would feed them was if it was the zombie apocalypse and they were the only thing left on the shelf haha)
Pedigree
Purina (back when it was owned by Purina MILLS ... the people who make the livestock feed, it was decent, not great but not what it is now)
Eukanuba
Iams
Diamond (before all their quality control issues)

·
Registered
374 Posts
High activity dogs need fat even more than they need protein. Most "performance" kibbles aim for 30% protein and 20% fat. Many who keep kennels of sled dogs also prefer corn in the formula because they believe the carbs are helpful. Obviously Orijen has a different philosophy.

At 38% protein and 18% fat Six Fish should provide all the energy your dog needs even if you get "crazy."

If you ever want to try something proven to work for highly active dogs and *much* less expensive, look at Dr. Tim's line. He makes both grain inclusive and grain free formulas, although the "pros" who feed it tend to use the grain inclusive. It is very good food for the money and Dr. Hunt supports his products very well. However if Orijen is working for you I wouldn't suggest changing for the sake of change, even within the Orijen line. Orijen doesn't work for every dog but for those it does, and if you can afford it, it is a very good food.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
High activity dogs need fat even more than they need protein. Most "performance" kibbles aim for 30% protein and 20% fat. Many who keep kennels of sled dogs also prefer corn in the formula because they believe the carbs are helpful. Obviously Orijen has a different philosophy.

At 38% protein and 18% fat Six Fish should provide all the energy your dog needs even if you get "crazy."

If you ever want to try something proven to work for highly active dogs and *much* less expensive, look at Dr. Tim's line. He makes both grain inclusive and grain free formulas, although the "pros" who feed it tend to use the grain inclusive. It is very good food for the money and Dr. Hunt supports his products very well. However if Orijen is working for you I wouldn't suggest changing for the sake of change, even within the Orijen line. Orijen doesn't work for every dog but for those it does, and if you can afford it, it is a very good food.
Agreed, all the foods that are praised as "good" my dog does poorly on LOL, he does better with a so called "lower end" food like 4 health, or pro pac, though we just started the pro pac a few weeks ago so we will see what happens when I fully transition them over.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Whatever food your dog does well on will be just fine. You may want to reevaluate if you get really competitive with the sport and your dog's condition requires a different food, but right now, I would just keep feeding what works for your dog.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts