Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chihuahua terrier approx 40 pounds and two years old.
Yes he is considered overweight for his age/size/breed.
I took him out for the first time at a doggy park and it was kind of hot and he started salivating and foaming excessively at the mouth.
He has just gotten his rabies shot last year and it's supposed to last 3 years and he has not eaten anything out of the norm for the past few days.
when i looked it up it was a possibility that it was from playing too much and getting over excited and heated up.
After we took him in the car and home, it was gone--no sign of aggression or anything wrong.
If it is from over heating, is there any way i can prevent it next time? May it have been from lack of water during play? (only about 2 hours) He rejected the water we gave him because it wasnt in a bowl.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Overheating can cause a dog to foam at the mouth. Exercise is important, but an overweight dog can overheat in a very short amount of time, as well as put excess stress on their joints. I would start slow and work your way up until he builds up stamina and starts to lose the weight.

I bring a short, wide mouth cooler of water with me, but there are also collapsible bowls you can buy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
In my experience, foaming is more a sign of stress/excitement than overheating. Watch his behavior if you take him again and watch for signs of overstimulation. Maybe it would be better for him to be introduced to the dog park in a more gradual manner?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts