Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm an owner of a male Japanese spit (max), he is 2 years old and generally well behaved. He does get protective of food or a bone and has the tendency to defend vigorously

My good friend has a female Kelpie, less than 6 months old. Full of energy and very playful

Last night at a BBQ the 2 dogs started fighting. The kelpie is generally playing all the time with Max all the time to a point where Max has enough and starts fighting. My wife and kids don't like this behaviour and tries to split them apart, the owner of kelpie says no, don't do this they need to work out the order in the pack.

This has become a hot issue between leaving or splitting up the 2 dogs to a point my mate will not bring his dog around.

I don't know what I meant to do when dogs fight, do i leave them or let them work it out

Craig

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well on the topic of pack hierarchy, if you watch the dog whisperer, whenever two dogs begin to fight, Cesar breaks them up. So, that's what I would be inclined to believe you should do. Wild wolves might fight it out though, so, I don't know. At any rate the dogs could severely injure each other while fighting, so, that's another good reason to pull them apart.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
You keep them apart - if it's truly a fight.

"Working it out" could leave one, or both, seriously injured or maimed, and humans can be injured trying to break it up.

I can't recommend wolves or The Dog Whisperer as an example of what to do in this situation.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I'm with RonE on this one. A client of ours broke up a fight between her two labs. She received some pretty severe bit wounds on her hands. Crunched some of her bones and will have to have plastic surgery. She also may have nerve damage.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If you don't mind vet bills, possible lawsuits and having dogs that are out of control then, I guess you can let them fight. Most of us won't tolerate fighting at any time...our house...our rules.....and the dogs safety is involved.
Forget about the pecking order....that's all BS.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I don't believe pecking order is BS BUT dogs will figure out their relative places vis a vis each other without fighting. Fighting is not to be tolerated. But there is a difference between fighting and, for example, an adult dog giving a rude puppy a correction bite.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Sometimes distinguishing a real dog fight from rough play is as hard as distinguishing love from infatuation. Once you've experienced the real thing, there's no mistaking it. But, until then, you're convinced you've already experienced it.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Sometimes distinguishing a real dog fight from rough play is as hard as distinguishing love from infatuation. Once you've experienced the real thing, there's no mistaking it. But, until then, you're convinced you've already experienced it.
Amen
Let's put it another way, you would not drop your children off in a bad neighborhood telling them life is tough, deal with it. Not trying to compare the importance but you would not want loved one to get hurt. Kids or dog.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Remember this one thing if you break up a dog fight...

Grab the hind legs and wheel barrow the dogs backwards. This keeps you away from the business end of the dog and it diffuses things because the dog is only on two legs and walking backward (neither is natural for a dog).

Better to error on the side of caution and break it up.

However, from your own description Max needs some work on Resource Guarding. NO dog should become possesive of food, a toy or any other thing if a Human wants to take that thing away. A dog should NEVER "defend vigorously" his food or a bone if a human wants it or walks by.

Resource guarding is bad news. It escalates.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I don't believe pecking order is BS BUT dogs will figure out their relative places vis a vis each other without fighting.
OK...if pecking order isn't BS....then...quick question....we're walking down the street...my male Sheltie meets a female Rottie. How is pecking order established by just passing each other? Male/Female? Size?
The two dogs the OP talked about are not in the same household/pack. I have to really disagree that dogs have a 'pecking orders' attached to them. An Omega in one pack may not be an Omega to other packs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts