Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just this morning, I was watching Esther and Molly outside and thinking, "I'm so glad you two are still best friends. I can't imagine what I'd do if you didn't get along."

Then, this evening, my two and my daughter's two dogs were all tearing around the yard together and Molly and Esther started fighting.

I've seen rough play and I've dog fights and this was a serious, somebody's-going-to-get-hurt dogfight.

I was ten feet away and happened to be moving some lumber, so I had some leather work gloves on. I waded into the middle of it and separated the two dogs - which was more difficult than I would have imagined. It looked like Molly was getting the worst of it, but she was giving Esther more fight than anyone would have expected.

I am hoping (assuming, actually) that the different chemistry of four excited dogs together all day probably got to them. They all tend to go after Esther and I expect she'd had enough. But, if it happens again, I'll have the last problem I would ever have expected.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Let's hope it was just the excitement. I HATE DOG FIGHTS!!! :( :(

·
Registered
388 Posts
Oh my! Good thing you were there to break it up! You have probably heard the saying, "Dogs fight for breeding rights, but bitches fight for breathing rights!"
The worst fights I've seen are between bitches! The fights can seemingly happen over nothing, just one girls gets her feathers ruffled and that's all it takes. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I was examining both dogs for injuries (I found none) I said to Molly, "You know she could kill you, right?"

The fact that there were no real injuries, and that I was able to separate them at all, is encouraging. If Esther had really wanted to hurt Molly, I'd be at the e-vet (or worse) right now.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hopefully it's just a fluke and a lot of noise. If they really meant "business" I am sure they both would be nursing some wounds right now.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry to hear this RonE. Sounds like you hit it right on the head, that the excitement got the best of them and it was more noise than anything. I know how scary it can be when it goes from just rough play to a lot more serious. I agree that the fact that you were able to separate the tiff and that there are no injuries to speak of....sounds like it was just a quick mishap.

Glad you were there AND wearing gloves.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Oh I'm sorry to hear that RonE. Dog fights are such an annoyance and worry! At least it was not a serious fight and neither were injured. More like a disagreement that maybe you are right about, with all 4 dogs running about. Something out of the norm can cause behavior out of the norm. Hopefully it is just a one off thing. Glad both are doing fine.

·
Super Moderator
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably a fluke. This morning they are joined at the hip again and heaven help anyone who would harm a hair on Molly's head.

At the least, this has alerted me to the possibility of conflict between two best friends. I was naive to think it could never happen.

I am reminded of my own best friend. We've been friends since before we could walk, but I have distinct memories (from about 50 years ago, though I sometimes have trouble remembering where I parked my car in the morning) of extreme violence we've exacted on each other.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I am reminded of my own best friend. We've been friends since before we could walk, but I have distinct memories (from about 50 years ago, though I sometimes have trouble remembering where I parked my car in the morning) of extreme violence we've exacted on each other.
And to think...you guys probably weren't armed with a mouthful of knives...kinda raises the stakes...

Glad to hear they are getting along again and that you managed to interfere before there was any permanent damage (physically or socially). AND glad you didn't get yourself bitten!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Jeeze I go thru this with the cats sometimes. And it is LITTERMATES who have been together for 13 years. You break it up and they will back off for hours and then you turn your back and they are back at it. Food fixes it and redirects focus but it is a PITB.

I am sure Molly listened carefully when you said to her that Esther could kill her and that is why they are OK this morning. Us kids always listened to Dad when he told us this stuff. After all, he controlled the food and the toys and the Paddle. :D

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Glad you were there...it sounds like just a fluke from all the excitement. My boys, the shelts, had a for real fight recently too over one staring at the other while he was finishing eating. Should have seen that one coming. I threw a food dish at them trying to break it up, didn't work, but they broke up on their own, no damage.

I think of it like my kids...they usually get along great, but sometimes they can be so mean to eachother. Living in the same house with someone your whole life there's bound to be an issue here or there.

·
Super Moderator
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe Molly listened to me or maybe she had nightmares about Esther's jaws on her throat. Either way, they are fine today.

I've decided Zeke is the instigator and, as an experienced instigator, he managed to be 20 feet away when the #### hit the fan. He gets the other three riled up and then steps back to a safe distance.

Walking into the middle of what I thought was a death match between two large, angry dogs isn't my best example of good judgement. It's right up there with the time I couldn't get the gas grill started. I could hear the gas, but there was no spark. After about 30 seconds, I leaned in REAL close to see if there was a spark and pushed the ignition one more time.

There was a spark and a huge WHOOSH. I lost most of my hair and counted myself lucky that I didn't lose a lot more.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My dog has a doggie buddy and have played together constantly for months. Never a issue , then one day out of the blue my dog grabbed this little twig on the ground and was playing with it and like instant dog fight ! Never a issue over toys or other play things ,just that twig . Really caught me off guard and was very glad I was out back .

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Well RonE sounds like you have a guardian Angel watching out for you. Glad you only lost your hair to the grill, it could have been much worse.

2 years ago I had my then, 3 dogs Lulu, Inga and Oliver at my parents over Christmas holiday. Christmas eve the living room is full of family and 3 big dogs, kids running all about etc... My brother, who knows everything (though never having owned a dog) gives my dogs each a smoked cannon bone. I said "um, probably NOT a good idea unless I separate them" too late, Oliver walked over by Inga who was heavily into her bone already. She growled at him from a lay down position and he being the chicken liver he is goes into full attack mode. It was loud and ferocious for 10 seconds or less. I grabbed Oliver and flipped him. I yelled to Inga and she went back to her bone. She had NEVER started a fight in her life. She just did what she always did, warned the other dog off. Oliver being, Oliver didn't have the brains to just walk away, he had panicked and scrapped with her. She had 2 puncture wounds to her ear he didn't even have a moist spot on him. They never ever had another issue.

I think sometimes those odd circumstances create issues but if the dogs are generally social it never does escalate into further issues. It sounds like Zeke was the "Circumstance" that caused this, hopefully 1 time occurrence.
It seems more common that the weaker dog starts the fight. Oliver started it by being a foolish chicken liver.

Let's just say "my brother now listens to me", at least when it comes to my dogs. lol

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Maybe Molly listened to me or maybe she had nightmares about Esther's jaws on her throat. Either way, they are fine today.

I've decided Zeke is the instigator and, as an experienced instigator, he managed to be 20 feet away when the #### hit the fan. He gets the other three riled up and then steps back to a safe distance.

Walking into the middle of what I thought was a death match between two large, angry dogs isn't my best example of good judgement. It's right up there with the time I couldn't get the gas grill started. I could hear the gas, but there was no spark. After about 30 seconds, I leaned in REAL close to see if there was a spark and pushed the ignition one more time.

There was a spark and a huge WHOOSH. I lost most of my hair and counted myself lucky that I didn't lose a lot more.
Glad to hear it Ron. I didn't comment last night but I was worried about your situation.
In my experience male dogs can in most cases get in a fight over something, a toy, pecking order, females, etc and be buddies about the time the dust settles.

But bitches tend to be a bit different. They don't seem to have minor squabbles as often as males but often once two bitches fight they hate each other forever. I have seen two bitches get along for years, then one tift and they try to go at it every time they see each other.

Sounds like it might have been the group thing or something different about the situation that struck a nerve. Hopefully they will continue to get along.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Something similar happened between my pug-Billy, and my sister's pug, Tommy.

I have been visiting for just over a week and they have been insta-buddies from the first second they met. Tommy has shown a little bit of possessiveness over his favorite toy, but nothing serious. Billy does his share of mounting of Tommy every chance he gets, but it has never gotten to even close to any growling. Tommy just fends him off and when Billy gets the business from Tommy about his toys, he just backs off...until tonight.

Billy had Tommy's favorite mouse in his mouth and was being REALLY diligent in NOT allowing Tommy to get it like he normally would. Billy jumped on the couch with his hair standing on end and Tommy was chasing after him. I knew it wasn't ideal but I have a broken leg and couldn't get to him in good time. Anyway, they jumped onto the floor where Billy started to growl at him--it is the first time he has ever growled at anything, ever (he is 5 months). In just a second or two, they were at each other and my sister pulled them apart and laid them on their sides, side by side. They calmed down and Billy came and fell asleep by my feet and Tommy went to hers and crashed.

They both pretty much slept the rest of the night, but when one got up the other just calmly watched and showed no aggression. I am sure they will be fine but it was just kind of surprising to see two buds go at it like that.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I hear ya Ron.

I was at the dog park with my friend and her mutts. She has 2 pound dogs and her oldest was practically raised at my house, lol.

A toy got involved and the park had emptied out and we *STUPIDLY* let our dogs keep playing with it. It was a rubber squeaky cow.

Kody took it. Xoup wanted it. Chaos ensued.

They have had *noise* fights before so we briskly walked over to break it up, but not like I would if it was my dog and a strangers dog. These 2 have had scuffles before.

It was refreshing to see the 5 people left in the dog park BOLT over to help us. It restored my faith in humanity for a second. None of their dogs were involved, and they were all sitting down, but when our "HEY!"'s didnt work and we had to get over to them, they joined. it was refreshing, to say the least.

But this one was just noise and stupid boys being boys. lol

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Happened today with Jack and his best old guy pal, my boyfriend's parent's Chow x Lab Luke. These guys are joined at the hip when we visit, but there were 6 dogs in the yard and we started chasing/running with them. Luke was running near Jack and then in the blink of an eye they were going at it in a bad way. We separated them, brought every one back into the house, and it was like nothing happened. Now they're sleeping on the same bed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sometimes my girls get into it: its never been bad, so I don't worry. Its pretty much Callie getting on Susie's nerves, pestering her to play when she doesn't feel like it, so Susie gets mad and they kinda quarrel (sp), bark really loud, snarel, etc. Its kinda funny.

·
Super Moderator
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've seen Esther step on Molly and maybe roll her over a few times. It seems to be a correction for particularly obnoxious behavior.

Maybe this started out as a correction and Molly took issue with it. I don't know. But the more I think about, the more I think that if Esther was hell-bent on hurting Molly, I would not have been able to stop it quickly enough and I would have gotten myself hurt as well.

It DID look like Molly was seriously trying to damage Esther but wasn't having much success.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts