Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting a certain breed of dog as my next, yet they are not common in my city and I have not met them IRL. Seems kind of dumb, but I have never done sports or events or shows with Willow and I have no clue as to where/when these things take place in my area. How do I find events in my area that I could visit and hope that there are some dogs I can meet? I am assuming I could check clubs for breed specific ones, but what about others?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I go to a specific breed forum and they usually post their events for their chosen breed. I do this because my pup is a mix of one breed I was not real familiar with and wanted to learn of possible health issues concerning that particular breed. You could try that if you like. :) I have a mix and it is alright by the other folks and I am still accepted. :)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I am not sure which breed you want, so I just went with all breed conformation events from September to December.

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=87&page=0

Best site to find shows/events in Canada.

Just looking through the results, there is a show in Brantford December 2-4. I assume you can contact those people to get the specific site if it is not listed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you're talking about Poodles (which I think you are) your best bet is going to be with conformation shows, as you're not likely to find enough at sports events to make attendance worth your while (unless you're just excited to go to sports events!). You may also find some at obedience shows.

I would also go here: http://poodleclubcanada.com/contact-us/ and send an email to the club secretary asking if she knows of any shows coming up near you that will have poodles competing in them. Also, I was able to find a link on the front page to a premium for a set of obedience shows it looks they're hosting in Ontario in October, so I think you'd probably have luck if you made it to that: http://poodleclubcanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/poodleclubobedpl2011.pdf (sorry, it's a PDF). Other than that ChaosIsAWeim's link to the CKC is your best bet.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I use this site: http://www.canuckdogs.com/index.php

Click on Ontario along the top there, and then events over on the left side. It'll let you see shows, specialties, obedience, agility... and more.

(Also, as it gets close to show date, click on "judging schedule" to see how many dogs of each breed are entered.)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much folks. All those links helped a lot. I suppose I should have mentioned that I want to meet Standard Poodles. I love everything about them on paper, but really haven't met any. I think I would be fine with one, I have made my way through raising a high-energy byb Golden, but there are still things I want to see firsthand. I think the part I am most curious about is the coat and grooming. Willow has only ever needed baths and a quick brush now and then. The grooming I'd see at a show would be much more extreme than I'd do at home, but to see it wouldn't hurt. I'd love to see a Spoo at a dock-diving event to get a real taste of how their coats are under the conditions in which I raised Willow!

How approachable generally are people at these shows? Do they enjoy talking about their breed?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
How approachable generally are people at these shows? Do they enjoy talking about their breed?
That depends on the person you talk to, and the time of day. If they are grooming and are just about to go into the ring I would say ask them if they have time to talk sometime during the day, but don't bother them to much because they are probably really busy. If it is after showing they may be in a better mood to talk.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Catch them after they're done in the ring and are just hanging out at their stations. I find people are friendlier when they can tell you're serious about a breed rather than just asking questions out of idle curiosity -- tell them you've been researching the breed and are strongly considering getting one. They should be open to questions.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Can you find a regional dog magazine? We have Mile High Dog here. They list every kind of event. Shows, meet the breed, meet-up groups, etc. That might be useful in addition to what Chaos already posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts