Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this has been asked alot, but can anyone give me a rundown on what to do and not to do when walking my dog? he is my first dog and i recently got yelled at for letting him poop in a neighbors yard (although i cleaned it up) and i want to know if there's anything else im clueless about. thanks!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Don't let your dog pee on the flower beds, even if they are around mailboxes!!! Don't put your poo bags in peoples' garbage cans, even if they are pushed up to the street! Keep your dog off of beaches where people swim if it's in a high-traffic place!

Don't let your dog run up to other dogs without the owner's absolute permission.

I don't let my dogs set foot on yards where people have in-ground sprinkler systems! These people are CRAZY. (I have one myself, so I can say this!) At parks, keep your dog away from the equiptment where children play. No parent wants urine or feces near the space where their children tumble around.

That's just off the top of my head. Kudos to you for cleaning up after your pet!!! Grow thick skin and ignore the ugly people!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
It's a double-edged sword - socialize your dog with lots of people, animals, locations, experiences... but keep him under control, on-leash. Teach him to sit when people approach to interact with you or him... but be prepared to tell 'some' people that the "dog is in training" so you can't stop or let them pet him right now (It is your responsibility to protect the dog... how politely is up to you.)

You are allowed to 'teach' other people how to politely approach and pet your dog. And, you can leave when they don't listen.

Try not to give your dog food, while other dogs are nearby.

Many dog owners don't like their dog to be sniffed by other dogs, so be alert to the knowledge of the owners.

Most people don't spend 10 min. a day training their dogs, so if you do, you're ahead...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't leave your dog outside to bark, especially early in the morning and late at night and double especially when you are not home. I have a neighbor who has a dog door for her two little yappers. Super, duper annoying when they are out their barking their heads off and no one is home to bring them in :(.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Include the mail carrier and delivery people in your socialization. Beyond the potential safety issues, life is just so much easier when the dog doesnt go ballistic just because the mailman pulled up. Buster regularly slows or stops traffic while interacting with our regular carrier.

Pick up after your dog. No matter how tiny your dog may be, no one wants to step in whats left behind. I find it far more embarrassing to leave a mess behind than to continue the walk carrying a bag of poop.

Use a leash in public (flexi leashes dont count). Your dog may be perfectly friendly but not everyone elses will be, yours might pick the wrong one to bounce up to. Not to mention the many other dangers of loose dogs in public areas.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I "taught" Bella to hold her business until we get off people's lawns/properties. I didn't mean to teach her to wait specifically....I just kept her going until we got to a weedy area. Now she goes in those areas on her own. Unless it is a real emergency...thankfully that doesn't happen often. Even though I always have bags with me, I wouldn't want someone elses dog using my property as a bathroom either. #1 or #2.

If you can teach your dog to poop on command, that is a GREAT help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts