Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 13 weeks husky female and 12 weeks dogo argentino mix pitbull Male. Im getting a lot of info regarding coconut oil and krill oil/fish oil is very good for my dogs. Not sure what ratio i should serve them and how often? also krill vs fish oil? why one vs the other? and what other oil is essential for optimum health?

·
Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
Coconut oil and fish oil aren't essential oils (essential oils are highly concentrated plant based oils derived by distilling plant material, and that's an entirely different topic!). They're supplements. They don't NEED them. Keeping your pups on a high quality diet which includes all essential vitamins and minerals is enough. However, I personally use fish oil because my dog has allergies, and the vet recommended that I supplement my dog's diet with fish oil to help reduce the inflammation and irritation caused by allergies. Some people also supplement their dog's diet with things like Cosequin for joint health, or maybe probiotics if their dog is known to have digestion issues.

Really, I wouldn't worry too much about supplements if you're feeding a decent food, especially as puppies. The oil is sometimes too rich for them and then they get upset tummies.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Yeah essential oils are a completely different thing and caution should be used if giving/applying any essential oils to your dog. Some are not safe for dogs at all and you have to be very careful with the dilution ratio.

As for fish oil and coconut oil it's up to you if you want to give it to your dogs. Fish oil can help with a dog's coat/skin. Coconut oil is a good antibacterial. I give my dogs coconut oil when they get a Kong - usually around a tablespoon or two (my dogs are 80 lbs).

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Ask your Vet for his opinion about Butyric Acid, Coconut oil, and Omega-3 supplements.

Butyric Acid is 'butter oil' and can be very nutritious, if the dog needs it.
Coconut oil has myristic acid which may help joints, or may not.
Omega-3 in fish oil has DHA and EPA. I think the current recommendation is 1500mg of DHA, but your Vet can advise with these.

When you add any of these supplements, watch for mild diarrhea, or any anal issues such as scooting or licking ... Just reduce the amount, if you notice issues. I think all of these should be given with food for better absorption.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts