Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snowball jumped over the back yard fence a while ago.I live in a neighborhood full of kids. In the back,across the fence is a large field that belongs to the Catholic church. There lots of kids who play soccer and I guess Snowball decided she should play also. It looks like I may have to bulid a kennel or put up a smaller fence so my dog doesn't jump the fence again. Is there another way to prevent her from bolting to the great field of freedom? This was her first time,and I think it won't be the last if I don't do something soon. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Taller fence maybe?

Mine is about 8ft tall that way i'm very sure my dogs won't be able to jump or climb it.
If you can buy the kennel then i don't see why you shouldn't go for it!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I owned the house I live in,it would be no proplem to build a bigger fence.I thought maybe there was a way I could train her from jumping the fence.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
All rules go out the window when you're not around. The only way to know for sure that a dog is going to follow your commands is when you are there to enforce them. So you can't really "teach her" that jumping the fence is bad, because she may or may not do it when you're not watching.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
All rules go out the window when you're not around. The only way to know for sure that a dog is going to follow your commands is when you are there to enforce them. So you can't really "teach her" that jumping the fence is bad, because she may or may not do it when you're not watching.
This reminds me of what a co-worker told me about a dog she had a few years back :). She had thought for many years that her obedient dog stayed in the back yard everyday without a problem. One day, she got off of work early and out of the corner of her eye, she sees a dog that looks just like hers jumping over the chain link fences in a row of houses leading up to hers. When she entered the back yard, her dog was laying on the porch like it had been taking a nap the entire time. She has never seen her dog jump the fence while present.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Keep her in the house or in an escape-proof kennel (one with a top and no way to dig under) when you can't be there to supervise her.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep her in the house or in an escape-proof kennel (one with a top and no way to dig under) when you can't be there to supervise her.
This is what I plan on getting. Checking to see what Lowes or Home Depot has.If not,I'll build my own.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't completely agree with this. Milions of dogs are taught that they aren't allowed to get into the garbage, chew items that are not theirs, pee in the house, etc. And most people know whether or not their dog behaves when they aren't around; same basic principles apply.

I'm not saying that training not to jump the fence is the best and most fool proof way of curing this, but it's also not impossible. We have a 3.5 ft fence around our yard and I've seen Toby clear obstacles much taller than this, yet he has never once jumped our fence.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't completely agree with this. Milions of dogs are taught that they aren't allowed to get into the garbage, chew items that are not theirs, pee in the house, etc. And most people know whether or not their dog behaves when they aren't around; same basic principles apply.

I'm not saying that training not to jump the fence is the best and most fool proof way of curing this, but it's also not impossible. We have a 3.5 ft fence around our yard and I've seen Toby clear obstacles much taller than this, yet he has never once jumped our fence.
Well, that's why I said, "may or may not." It's not a GIVEN that the dog will break rules, but it is certainly a possibility. My dog knows not to go in the garbage or on the table, etc, but I think if we put a nice juicy hamburger on the counter and left for three hours there is a good chance we might come back to no hamburger. Yet, we leave bread and baked goods on the counter frequently (albeit in bags/containers). I think it just depends how bad the "want" is for the dog to have something or do something. And, since this dog has already shown a desire to jump the fence and probably had a lot of fun doing so, I wouldn't feel safe relying on the thought that the dog should know to behave even when someone isn't there. So, for the intents of purposes of this owner, I don't think this is a feasible training strategy.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Here is the thing... You MIGHT be able to train the dog.. BUT, if the dog learns he can get out and that is VERY self rewarding.. and he also learns you don't want him to, he will do what I did as a kid... Do it when you are not around (and think "worth it" if he gets caught.. LOL).

Because escaping can get him in trouble (Animal control and fines for you at the least, biting someone, getting stolen or getting hit by a car the worst) you best buy or build a kennel with a top that he cannot get out of. WVasko always recommends 9 ga wire and concrete for the thing to sit on. You MAY find the concrete problematic since you are not the property owner so you can substitute cattle mats and patio blocks along the edges to discourage digging.

Escaping and running around w/o supervision is very very self rewarding so until you get the dog proof kennel, prevention will be 9/10ths of the cure. Every escape is more reason to find a way.. anyway... to escape again.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed. I found out how she done it. Back in January,we had a big ice storm.The landlord sent some people over to cut down some trees.One of those trees was cut down that it looks like a stepping stone to get over the fence.:mad: But I'm going to Lowes and get a kennel type fence that's 10 ft. high. I doubt seriously if she can scale that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts