Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda gross, I know.

So this is a thing with Brae (1.5 yr Dutch shepherd), and I've never seen or heard of it before. I am sure it happens, but maybe no one talks about it? :D This has happened maybe... 4 times in the last half a year? So it's not incredibly frequent, but it is incredibly off putting when it does happen.

Overall, those who follow my training with Brae know that I've done everything in my ability to reward calm. I have no issues with problem behaviors or training in general. He is an awesome dog, and very clear headed. He does have his wild moments and we actively encourage tomfoolery and hyperness at times, but this never happens during those time. In fact, it has only happened when he is being pet while lying on the ground by choice, and being quite calm in terms of general body language.

Here is a scenario... I just woke up this morning and milled around the house, took a shower, made breakfast, etc. Basically, totally ignored Brae as I do most mornings as I wake up. He hasn't even gone out yet (slept 7 hours, so he doesn't need to yet) and has not even tried to solicit attention. He and my other dog have just been lounging on dog beds, the picture of a peaceful morning. In passing, I go over and crouch to give both dogs a good petting and scratching. I'm being very quiet and calm to not cause over-excitement because the other human in the house is still sleeping. Both dogs calmly indulge in the petting and flop over so I can give them belly scratches. Nothing is escalating. Very peaceful. But I noticed Brae's penis getting more engorged and then start throbbing. So I stand up and walk away. He didn't even follow me or get up. He just went back to sleep. But THAT very scenario is where he likely would have ejaculated and where he has done so in the past (which is why I stopped petting him).

Brae does mark a lot when we are outside. But he is not humpy with anything, not even other dogs anymore. He gets a lot of training, attention, and exercise. He gets wound up pretty easily but very appropriately and is stable enough that I have him in classrooms full of young children. Overall, amazing. But this boy problem is tiresome, and my partner and I are both tired of having to watch his genitals as we are petting him :D And to be clear, I am 100% sure this is not excitement pee or submissive pee. It's not pee. I know what pee is and what semen is. The first time it happened, I almost wished it was pee.

My breeder says it's an adolescent thing he'll grow out of. But does anyone else have experience with this?

·
Registered
180 Posts
He should grow out of it but, in the meantime, you could get male dog wraps for him to wear when he's indoors and, likely to be petted.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
It's an adolescent thing he'll grow out of.

It is really just an extension of 'I am excited, so my penis is out of its sheath'. It, clearly, doesn't even take wild and obvious excitement to be a thing.

Kiran spent a while getting very excited by children. And I mean 'excited', not losing his mind. YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT AWKWARD SITUATIONS. OMFG.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
He should grow out of it. Excitement is not always obvious.

This behavior may be nerve as well. Dutch Shepherds all have a degree of nerve and a little is desirable as long as it is balanced with good drives and confidence (that latter also being an issue with the breed). Not saying this dog is nervy or lacking confidence. Just noting that is a breed trait.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. Glad to hear that this isn't some freak behavior :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts