Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 5 month old golden doodle that loves to eat the carpet in the corner. He doesn't chew on furniture or anywhere else so I have been fortunate, but he is loving the carpet. We tried pepper and that didn't work at all. I was suggested pepper spray on the carpet but I'm worried it will linger in the house. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A good way to stop this is by trying to divert the puppy's attention to something better when he goes to chew on the carpet, such as one of his favorite toys he doesn't play with that often, or maybe you, if your down on the ground ready to play, so he is more interested in you. Make sure you don't try to divert his attention with a treat, though, because it is kind of like rewarding him for it.

If this doesn't work, try correcting him the second he goes to chew on it wit a quick, loud, Ahh-ahh! make sure you give him a treat or something the second he backs away from it.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Whenever a dog picks a very specific spot to chew on the first thing to ask is what's under there or behind that spot. Sometimes, it's a place were insects or rodents are traveling....(behind the wall or the baseboard).
I had a Sheltie who ate a hole through the drywall...mice were climbing up the pipes in that wall space.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
When Rio was a puppy he liked to chew the carpet on the bottom step. I mixed a little tabasco sauce with water and painted on that part of the carpet. He got a mouthful and quit chewing the carpet. Then when Savannah came along same problem. Out came the tabasco sauce she also stopped chewing on the carpet!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what is underneath the carpet but we are usually away when she is chewing the carpet. We do try to divert her when we see her but its very rare to catch her. I will try the tobasco sauce and see if that works. Thanks for the help.

Also, does the tobasco sauce stain the carpet?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm a stay at home Mom for my dogs and my 15 year old human child!!! ... LOL, and I just have to say ... if the pup/dog is bored they will do anything to get your attention... you just have to keep them entertained as you would a 2 year old child!!! ~ minus the color crayons of course!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Make sure the dog is getting plenty of exercise (long walks); sounds like he is bored. That said, I had a Doberman years ago that ate the entire laundry room floor in one day (vinyl tile). Amazingly he didn't get sick! :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts