Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My dog has been eating mushrooms that are growing in the yard. I’d have to walk through the yard every day to get them all. It’s nearly impossible. I’ll try adding a pic but they are a burnt red color with a bright yellow underside. Does anyone know if these are bad for dogs? He seems to be doing fine, no stomach upsets.

He’ll also randomly be obsessed with a spot in the yard and eat all the grass and dirt and try digging down like he’s trying to get something. I’m not sure if it’s the same spots the mushrooms grow. He’s a 10 month springer spaniel.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
In my area there are dogs being poisoned from eating mushrooms. We dont have mushrooms in our yard, so I'm not able to identify the ones causing issues here. If he's been eating them so far and not getting sick, they are probably harmless, but I'd probably call and ask the vet what they think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
Some mushrooms can be quite poisonous. You can search online for mushroom identification information, but really your best bet is to not let him eat them. Take him out on a leash, if necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
That mushroom is called " Bolete ". This is something I know alittle about- we grow several varieties of edible mushrooms for ourselves such as oysters, shiitake, blewits etc and we also forage for other wild varieties.
There are some edible Boletes but I'm almost 100% that one in the picture is poisonous to humans at least. We have the same variety or one very close to it growing wild in our yard. Neither our dogs, goats or chickens touch them though so I dont know how dangerous they are for dogs. If it really worries you, I'd try two things. First you can buy bags of fungicide meant to be spread on your lawn. This should kill off the mycelium ( actual undergound "root" system of the fungus. The mushrooms are just the fruiting bodies of a much larger underground organism ) you may also want to buy a bag of consumption grade charcoal (carbon) in case of an emergency. Most anything thats eats a poisonous mushroom will vomit it up. The charcoal is fed to the animal by force if necessary, once in the stomach it absorbs and locks up toxins. Its an emergency poisoning measure that may help while getting youre animal to an emergency facility.
Theres a good deal of info online about Boletes, so now that you have the name to go by any further research is easy.
The other thing I can tell you is that many mushrooms kill by poisoning the liver. Some will kill within hours, some less poisonous can still damage the liver over a longer time period with repeated consumption. Disclaimer- I am not a doctor or a professional so take what I say with a grain of salt and do your own research!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
There are many types of mushroom, a lot of them can be really poisonous even to human, you just need to be careful and need to avoid it from your dog. My neighbour dog always eat the blueberries, I guess it should be fine with the dog because of so many years the dog still alive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,391 Posts
I agree with [email protected] Take pictures or samples to your Vet and ask if the mushrooms are harmful. I think that poisonous mushrooms can harm the liver or kidneys. The damage is not easy to reverse, and it can be cumulative. So, my vote is to try to remove them, until you have a chance to get a Vet's opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,931 Posts
I know it’s a PIA but get as many of the mushrooms out of the yard before letting dogs out. Dogs in my area are being poisoned and I know someone who lost a dog to a mushroom. Years ago but still.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top