Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Dog eating Mulberries

91K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Marsh Muppet 
#1 ·
We have a huge Mullberry tree in the back yard. All the little delicious berries are ripe this time of year. Every day when I let my dog out he runs straight to the Mulberry tree and will graze under it, eating the fallen berries as long as I let him. I don't think it is causing any problems. I've seen no diarrhea or vomiting. Has anyone ever heard of a dog doing this before? And do y'all think it is okay?

#5 ·
The ripe mulberries that fall to the ground will ferment in warm weather. We had a couple of big trees at one place we lived, and you could smell a strong scent of mulberry wine all over the yard. We had a large flock of Mourning Doves who would eat the fermented berries, get drunk, and stagger all over the place.

#6 ·
I have that same situation. I have a husky puppy who loves eating the fallen mulberries under my tree-so much as a matter of fact that she has a doggie pool that she would fill up with berries and smash them like wine with her feet. What a mess- but it is fun for her. She would not graze under the tree for berries- just take a few to eat- go play- then come back for more. She still drinks and eats normally- HOWEVER- her stools turn black and runny. I was told by the vet that these berries are nontoxic and are not really harmful but if I want her bowel issue to cease, the berry eating must cease also. I have never had problems with her hallucinating or getting dizzy at all. Just the stool issue. So as long as it is not serious, I figure the summer is short-lived and she can stop eating them when the berries are all gone.
cubby14

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.