Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 mo old Pomeranian keeps eating off the ground during walktime and its getting to the point he is eating everyything from grass to sticks to pebbles and each time I pull him back on his harness and sternly say no and he runs ahead and does it. We have to stop walking and pick him up he just wont stop. Every 2-3 steps he grabs something we can't even walk anymore and if he doesn't stop we can't keep walking him. What can w do because its getting out of hand he is eating everyything. I must be saying no atleast 100-150 times each time we go on a walk. :-( It is making walking him unenjoyable..

Hes just not learning..

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
you could try walking with treats in your hand and give him a treat once in a while. but make sure they are small soft treats so your dog doesn't get fat lol

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I must be saying no at least 100-150 times each time we go on a walk.
If you're doing something that much, then it's not working. :)

I'm having a hard time picturing a small dog like a Pomeranian having enough time to stop and pick something up if walking with adults at the human's pace. Seems like he'd have to do everything just to keep up with you.

Does he have a toy that he loves to carry in his mouth? You could have him take that along on walks.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sounds like he has way too much leash freedom if "he runs ahead". I walk my dogs on a 30" leash for their own safety.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ty for the replies.

He runs and digs his face into the ground and grabs what he can whether it be sticks, mud, grass, rocks etc.

I will try shortening his leash but its hard because he will still grab what he wants when sniffing the lawns.

I will try giving him a bone when we walk because he loves holding onto stuff in his mouth..

·
Registered
296 Posts
i'd employ the help of a pet trainer to put "leave it" and "drop it" in your dogs vocabulary. My 10 week old borzoi understands drop it, and i no longer have to go fishing for crud in his mouth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts